• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Baby Bronco?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I don't like it.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
looks a bit too boxy for my tastes. don't care for the choice of color palettes either.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
What'd I tell ya... A soccer mom's grocery getter.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
What'd I tell ya... A soccer mom's grocery getter.
This is what's been referred to as the "baby Bronco"... Its supposed to be a smaller SUV then the Ranger based Bronco and based of the Escape.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm gonna go ahead and say it. BOTH Broncos will be grocery getters. Watered down IFS shitboxes that bring shame to their former, glorious, hard-earned fame and Bronco badging. Parking lot cruisers that traverse curbs and speedbumps in a single bound.

A true Bronco should be something a woodsman or professional bear hunter would be proud to use as his daily. Something that can take you anywhere in the northern hemisphere. A vehicle that helps you climb mountains. Something a weathered old Texas Ranger would drive. Anything less is blasphemy.

It's time for Ford to listen to it's customers. Build a midsize to fullsize straight axle 4x4 with V8 option, or turbo V6, manual EVERYTHING. Right now, the only option for guys who want SERIOUS durability from Ford is the huge, heavy F250 or F350 models that weight as much as a dozer. Again, Jeep is winning in this arena. Ford just fails to "get it" anymore..

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Hmmmm... So Ford should build a vehicle specifically for a few tens of thousands (maybe) of customers that might want a solid axle, "manual everything", off-roader and not a vehicle that the hundreds of thousands (literally) of other customers want? I get what you're saying and don't really disagree with you, but I also don't think it makes a lot of sense from a sales standpoint. Jeep is winning with the people that want Jeeps. Check the total sales numbers and I think you'll see that Jeep may be winning the "off-road" battle, but Ford is winning the war. For that matter, so is GM and the other Fiat models, in comparison.

I'm not arguing or trying to start anything, just stating my opinion on the reality of it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I hate to accept it, but I agree with G8orFord about what Ford's doing here. They're producing vehicles like this because they -are- listening to their customers. It would be great if they could build something for everyone, but realistically that's never going to happen. At the end of the day, our community gets to keep doing what it's always done - pick the pieces we want and build it ourselves.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I just hope they don't call it Bronco-Jr,II,or something. We had Bronco and Bronco II at the same time as LTD and LTD II. The downsized, fox body LTD of the 80's wasn't actually an LTD II but an awful lot of people called them that, the LTD II was the 1977-79 Torino replacement.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm... So Ford should build a vehicle specifically for a few tens of thousands (maybe) of customers that might want a solid axle, "manual everything", off-roader and not a vehicle that the hundreds of thousands (literally) of other customers want? I get what you're saying and don't really disagree with you, but I also don't think it makes a lot of sense from a sales standpoint. Jeep is winning with the people that want Jeeps. Check the total sales numbers and I think you'll see that Jeep may be winning the "off-road" battle, but Ford is winning the war. For that matter, so is GM and the other Fiat models, in comparison.

I'm not arguing or trying to start anything, just stating my opinion on the reality of it.
If you want an offroad SUV right now it is pretty much Wrangler vs 4Runner/4Runner spin offs (FJ, Lexus GX)

Targeting 4Runner would give you a lot bigger market IMO. They are pretty decent on the trail and decent to live with the rest of the time too. They can be family cars to overlanding rigs and everything in between.

Go price a 4Runner and tell me with a straight face that there isn't much demand for such a rig.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

:iamwithstupid:

Jeep sold approx 240k Wranglers last year. I'd guess that 10% (20% max) will use them to their potential... the rest are left stock, slightly modified, or mall crawlers.
You figure the hardcore Jeep fan will buy another Jeep - no questions asked, they have a strong following. But there's a good percent that buy it because it has a removable roof or doors, It looks fun, It's marketed as a tough outdoorsman vehicle, etc. They don't know the difference between IFS and solid front axle. Take the reasons listed above, mix in IFS, and put it head to head with a Wrangler... Who's going to win in a 5-10 minute test drive down the road???

The only way the Bronco will not go the way of the FJ Crusier reboot is to spend the marketing $$$. They're actually doing a good job of getting the hype up before it's release, but I personally think they may have started too early. You need to grab people's attention and hold it until you can buy one. The Bronco isn't supposed to hit the dealers until very late 2020. That's a long time and people have short attention spans.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only way the Bronco will not go the way of the FJ Crusier reboot is to spend the marketing $$$. They're actually doing a good job of getting the hype up before it's release, but I personally think they may have started too early. You need to grab people's attention and hold it until you can buy one. The Bronco isn't supposed to hit the dealers until very late 2020. That's a long time and people have short attention spans.
FJ had serious inhouse competition too.

It is going to take decades to build a rabid fanbase like Toyota and Jeep have built. The only Ford product to rival that would be the Mustang.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I just hope they don't call it Bronco-Jr,II,or something. We had Bronco and Bronco II at the same time as LTD and LTD II. The downsized, fox body LTD of the 80's wasn't actually an LTD II but an awful lot of people called them that, the LTD II was the 1977-79 Torino replacement.
FJ had serious inhouse competition too.

It is going to take decades to build a rabid fanbase like Toyota and Jeep have built. The only Ford product to rival that would be the Mustang.
Mustang II anybody?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals