• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone up for a hardcore 3.0 build?

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More progress after being in the books. I might do an LS rocker, and using a comp 1053 pedestal. That way I have a 1.7 and I have a ton of that stuff. I can shim or cut pedestal. I'm also going to use threaded core plugs. Poured through the machinist bible and I can solid plug the heads to 1" NPT, and the block to 1 1/4.. I am doing a Boss, aren't I?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Heads look good, that's what the port should look like from the factory, why they clobber up the pocket area is beyond anyone I have talked with about it.

As for the rods, that sounds like an easy fix, what size dia are the rod bolts in the 4.6 motor?

JP02XLT

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heads look good, that's what the port should look like from the factory, why they clobber up the pocket area is beyond anyone I have talked with about it.

As for the rods, that sounds like an easy fix, what size dia are the rod bolts in the 4.6 motor?

JP02XLT
The Manleys are 3/8 ARP 2000. I bent one of the bolts in the stock rod today.

The port looks like that from factory because of "good enough" according to QC off of engineer specs. If I had a dime for every time I said 'I wish I could find the engineer that done this' I'd be driving one of those Bugatti Veyrons.. And still hot rod ding my ranger.

I did step the valve size up considerably. They are stock 4.6 diameter. Like .100 on the intake and .075 on exhaust. I was reviewing this build with my pops, the wizard. I told him my valve reliefs are in the block. He actually put me on the rod and piston combo.. If I can I'm gonna get him out of bed to come cut the rods down and cut the reliefs in the block.. Something for him to do, he's been crippled for 10 years and this is different enough to get him excited. :) damn sure has me excited

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to see someone attempting this with some knowledge. A lot of guys talk..very few get it done. Ill be watching, (I'm also an engine builder by day)

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks pretty cool so far. I can't tell from the pics, but have you done any grinding in the combustion chamber? I'd really suggest it. The 3.0 LOVES to detonate, and a large part imo is from all of the casting roughness that traps carbon, and causes hot spots. It also dropped compression just a tad, and allowed me to de-shroud the valves a bit.
Here's what I did for reference:

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks pretty cool so far. I can't tell from the pics, but have you done any grinding in the combustion chamber? I'd really suggest it. The 3.0 LOVES to detonate, and a large part imo is from all of the casting roughness that traps carbon, and causes hot spots. It also dropped compression just a tad, and allowed me to de-shroud the valves a bit.
Here's what I did for reference:
I did already slick em up, just haven't polished to that point yet. I ground then hit it with a needle scaler and media blasted them again. Need finer cartridge rolls. I ordered some today.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The other problem with these motors is the clamping force on the heads, again stock bolts are small dia & TTY style, ARP has studs for both old & new style blocks, better than stock but your still limited by the number of bolts and the diameter.

The rod bolts are tiny and bend very easy, the problem I had is stretching one under 20+ psi of boost. Motor gernaded, pistons were still in decent shape other than where the rod explosions nicked them up when they let go.

post some pics of that crank and rod assembly, I am interested.

JP02XLT

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haven't had time to sort out the ordering of parts, plus got on a different track of using the LS rocker. And I'm doing work to finance this little operation.

Thanks guys for all the input, I will have more info soon.

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've worked over the intake over the last few days. The lower intake is a pile of junk! Almost 6 hours in it so far. did get my valves today, though... And I'll be damned if I didn't order the exhaust too small. So reorder is in order

jae66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
question which composite intake are u using ive looked and both when they come into my shop and the dohc looks to fit more then the ohv one does. im looking at the bolt patterns of course unless I gotta swap the lower intake to then the dohc my not work idk so little insight would be appreciated thanks.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've worked over the intake over the last few days. The lower intake is a pile of junk! Almost 6 hours in it so far. did get my valves today, though... And I'll be damned if I didn't order the exhaust too small. So reorder is in order
Glad to hear work is progressing. Please post some pictures when you're done. I'd love to see your approach on the lower intake.

question which composite intake are u using ive looked and both when they come into my shop and the dohc looks to fit more then the ohv one does. im looking at the bolt patterns of course unless I gotta swap the lower intake to then the dohc my not work idk so little insight would be appreciated thanks.
The DOHC 3.0 and OHV 3.0 have no interchangeable parts. Ranger's came with a composite upper intake beginning in 01. It looks almost identical to the aluminum upper intake that was available 98-99. They are lightweight, and stay nice and cool. The only drawback is that you can't really port them, but they're still an upgrade over stock upper intakes on anything older than 01

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I can build transmissions and rears and more, but I still cant grasp a motor.. Ive never tried, but the clearances get me....

I wanna see the final product... I only know of the 3.0 as the motor to never buy.

jae66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
all right thanks for the info then and ur time

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Intake runner in lower manifold

cathalex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Regrouping on the connecting rod situation. Gonna use a std Small Chevy 5.850 rebush the pin end, and I'll only have to grind the rods .025 under. Did some preliminary work on the rocker gear, and it appears a Chevy LS rocker lands identical to the factory rocker. All I have to do is make some of these.

Slowly but surely.. It's coming along

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals