• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone running beadlocks?

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
I finally found a pair of 15x10 5x4.5 black beadlock wheels that will fit my truck. They are made by Allied wheels. The rt51 daytona steel beadlocks. I am going to run them on the street but not as a daily driver. This will be fun bc I am waiting to hear everyone scream "dont run them on the streets!" but its cool. I talked to a rep about this rims and of course he made me feel comfort with running them. but I did learn lots of stuff about beadlock wheels from him.

I am interested in what everyone else is running for beadlock wheels. maybe there is something better out there that i havent found yet.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Most Plain steel wheel's aren't even DOT approved anymore. I don't see the big deal.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
the guy i talked to today told me why bead locks arent street legal. it was interesting...

the law requires the bead to be between the lip of the rim and the rim drop out and bc on a beadlock the tire is on the other side of the lip is the only reason it is illegal for the street. he says (of course being a good salesman) beadlocks are 10 times safer than a regular rim anyway bc it is clamped to the rim and the tire can never fall off. now with that said. you have to obviously keep an eye on outer ring and check the bolts fairly often to make sure they arent backing out.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That is incorrect.

Most beadlocks aren't DOT approved because the companies that make them don't actually pay to get them DOT certified. There are many DOT approved beadlocks out there.

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
some states also state that are illegal because “if” you got into a police chase and they throw a spike strip out, it wont completely stop you like its designed to. - curtsy of my buddy’s police officer father.

thats what he claims, but i believe they dont want to get DOT approved also. i mean i had brake lines pressed and had to pay an extra 20 bucks so they could get the “DOT” stamp. its just a way for them to get more money. i mean its not like the officer who pulls you over is going to be able to check and find the DOT stamp on them let alone knpw which brand off the top of his head is DOT approved, so run them man! :headbang:

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
either way. i am running them for sure now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals