• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know much about older kerosene heaters??

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a Toyostove DR-86 kerosene heater that works great but has some issues. This kerosene heater has 2 fuel tanks. The main tank sits at the bottom of unit and then there is a secondary fuel tank that slides in and out for easy filling. The issue seems to be the secondary tank doesn't like to fill the main tank as it uses fuel. I have to manually pick the secondary tank up about an inch and slowly let it down and I can hear the fuel coming out of the second tank but it stops as soon as I drop the tank all the way. If I hold it 1/8" from touching I can hear the tank bubbling as if it is filling the main tank. Part diagram doesn't show anything missing so I don't know why it won't fill the main tank. Lately I've been picking the tank up and down and getting the main tank filled, light the heater and just keep lifting the tank every 30-40 minutes to make sure there's fuel in the main tank which works but is a hassle that shouldn't have to be done since gravity should handle that. Anyone have any ideas? The manual doesn't mention this issue in troubleshooting and I can't find anything online. Seems to be plenty of old timers on here that have tinkered with just about everything so hopefully someone knows what is happening. I've tried having the cap really tight, not so tight and nothing makes a difference. Its a great heater when it works. Got it for free and only had to buy a wick so I got $15 in it other than fuel..... Damn kerosene is $3.99/gallon here but a heck of a lot cheaper than small electric heaters which I despise. Here's a pic of it I found online to get an idea what I mean by it having 2 fuel tanks.

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
we used to have one of those when I was a kid 30+ years ago.... sounds to me like you have a plugged line that lets air into the second tank as it fills the main tank. if you lift it up, it is letting air in as the fuel goes out. take apart all the lines in the bottom tank and make sure you can blow air through them. if air can't go in to displace fuel going out, it doesn't go out.

AJ

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
We had one like that too when I was a kid, roughly the same time frame as AJ.

I agree, it does sound like you have a plugged vent somewhere.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It only has a screen filter between the 2 tanks. The second tank literally sits upside down onto the main tank and there is a small shaft sticking up from the screen that opens the valve on the second tank. Screen was clean too. I've had it all apart and it seems good now that I replaced the wick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals