• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone experienced your pumpkin rolling???

micah jackson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just picked up a 97 Ranger 4x4. There is a thump when you hit the throttle. Upon investigation we found that the rear diff actually rolls back when you blip the throttle. We asked around and found this condition is not unheard of with Rangers. We were told that it could be weakened leaf springs. I installed and "Superior" add-a-leaf and it still seems to be rolling. Anyone else experience this condition? The Truck has 170,000.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Its called axle wrap. If you've got blocks ditch them. See if it makes any improvement.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Its called axle wrap. If you've got blocks ditch them. See if it makes any improvement.
x2 on the axle wrap. Though ditching 2" of your suspension will make the truck sit kinda weird.

Look for what's called "traction bars", the kind with a shackle on the end are the best, though there's plenty of others out there that will still work. That's generally the easiest cure for axle wrap.

*edit:

The other thing it could be is the spot welds failing on the housing, they've been known to tear loose from the tubes. Though that's generally in high power, high torque, and high traction situations.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
He could ditch the block and swap in belltech shackles to regain the height.

Traction bars would certainly do the trick but would cost a hair more.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Just use a good set of lift leaf springs at the rear and you won't have any worries. Several types of leafs springs are available for your Ranger. You won't have that issue again, Bro. I never had it on any of my Jeeps or trucks.

Good luck.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i used chain with the same concept in mind as a traction bar, when going forward the force on the chain is a "pull" so it really doesnt matter if its solid rod or chain. made a bracket that attaches on top of the axle between the U-bolts for the axle attachment point, for the forward attachment point i took some angle iron, added a small peice of metal as a brace in the middle of it and it bolts to the backside of the front spring hangers. (did this while doing a front spring hanger replacement.) at the front is a threaded eye so i can draw up the tension on it. does make the rear suspension a little stiffer, but no axle wrap!

my first attempts at this used a beam clamp to the rear of the front spring hanger, it worked bout would bend the hanger. i also had a issue with the eye attachment point at the axle break. i now use a quick-link to attach the chain to the axle end instead of the lifting eye i used, and with the seperate peice of steel as the front attachment point things seem to be staying together well. lst i knew the james duff traction bar kit was somewhere around $100. ive not kept track of what ive spent with my chain setup, but im sure it would be way under. most of what i used i had laying around, only bought the thresded eye ends and quick links new.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Just use a good set of lift leaf springs at the rear and you won't have any worries.
I run 4" Skyjacker leaf springs on the back and have quite a bit of axle wrap. I ended up adding a traction bar to stop the axle wrap. Without the traction bar, its almost undrivable from the wrap and vibration.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
63" Chevy leaves and my axlewrap is really bad. Thinking about trying out the "Bam Bar" setup.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Mine "thumps" when you hit the throttle hard. Wanna know my free fix for this? Don't hit the throttle hard. It'll save you from hearing the noise and keep your fuel economy up. :icon_twisted:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Mine "thumps" when you hit the throttle hard. Wanna know my free fix for this? Don't hit the throttle hard. It'll save you from hearing the noise and keep your fuel economy up. :icon_twisted:
:icon_rofl:

i have spun the tubes in the pumpkin as well and not realized it for a spell.

i have had various traction bar setups including the chain....still use chain on engine/trans situations, but the long links seem to work the best for all around use. running 150 springs with a sploder main works ok, but i dont have much hp these days either.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Do a google search for Sams Offroad Bar. I cloned one of those and works very well.

Bobby,
I too have spun a tube in my 8.8. I now run a truss and welded the tubes!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals