• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anybody have experience on repairing manual trans.?

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got my transmission pulled out, because it was stuck in gear. But I have never been into one before, is there somewhere I can look to find directions to fix it or do one of you have directions you can give me?

1985 Ford Ranger 2.3L 5 speed manual 4x4

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
First, look here to see what type you have: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.shtml

I have worked on an M5OD, but that is probably not what you have. Just as a general rule, I would first open the fill plug, then open the drain plug to ensure you can get fluid back in it. After that I would pull the top cover to get a better look inside. It could be a bent shift fork and the top cover may be all you need to remove. To go any further, I would go to a local garage and ask if they could give you the printed directions to rebuild the transmission. My uncle is a mechanic and that is what he did for me.

Hope this helps. Make sure to post some photos too. That can really help get some answers :icon_thumby:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
on a 1985 you have one of two manual transmissions used from 1985-87

The TK-5 transmission built by Toyo-Koygo (Mazda)
and the Mitsubishi FM145.

At this stage of the game Neither transmission has been built since 1987 and parts were
rather hard to get starting about 1995

And I'll tell you flat out that working on either transmission other than superficial
repairs requires specialty tools that have not been readily available since the mid 1990's

Personally if I had a Ranger with either transmission I'd retrofit a Mazda M5OD-R1 into it because it's the only transmission worth working on. (ignoring the fact that it's essentially the only one for which you can get parts.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals