adjustable- height shocks?

enter_sandman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Used to be on facebook, there was a group on there where some members were using spring loaded shocks, they resembled the old heavy-duty shock absorbers...

but they were better. seemed to incorporate some ride-height adjustment.

And someone there had even fabricated adjustment brackets and welded to the frame, to adjust the truck's ride height/drop even more.

Interesting stuff...anyone have info about this here? I'm no longer on FB so I can't access...thanks for any info

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

Blmpkn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
It sounds like your talking about coilovers.

Our trucks don't use coilovers from the factory, but for certain rangers there are weld-on kits so you can run them in the front. Relatively easy work to do if youre handy.

To have a true coilover setup in the rear is much more involved. Requires ditching the leaf springs for a 3 or 4 link setup, which I'm relatively sure is a big pita unless you want to get rid of the factory gas tank and go to a full cell, even then it's a lot of work. Pretty much the only people who go to a linked rear are building race trucks that need 20" of travel. The lowest of lowrider trucks would use a linked rear as well. The guys on bags or hydros.

Dirtman

I pooped in the furnace
Supporting Member
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
RUM HAM!!!

racsan

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 (mostly)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3/140-4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/15
My credo
built, not bought
I have seen a kit that has coils that slide over shocks, then depending on how you set the clamps it could affect ride height. I used to use them on the back, had them on all four shocks on my 88 but it sure rode rough. Im not sure if they still exist , Im sure it was some china made crap, I got mine either at meijers or autozone.