• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding a Tachometer to a 2.3L

jarz21

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My '92 Ranger with 2.3L and 5-speed does not have a tach and I was thinking of adding one. The local junkyard has a ('90-'92) Ranger that has the 2.9L engine and complete instrument cluster with tach. I was wondering what I would need to do to use the temp/ pressure gauges and tachometer from the 2.9L truck on my 2.3L. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Kevin in PA

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Personally, I just swapped in the cluster and was good to go. The sending units all report the same resistance/voltage whether they are on a 2.3, 2.9, 3.0, etc.

Don't ask me why the tach from a 6 cyl works correctly with a 4 cyl but it does. Countless other 2.3 guys have had the same experience. Though mine was from the same year donor. On the old board we used to have a thread about this subject but, no more.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That's because the Tach on EEC4 engines is NOT driven by the primary circuit of the ignition system, but rather by the tach signal from the ignition module to the PCM.

I transplanted a 4.0 into my 1987 2.9 ranger and the original 2.9
tach works perfectly with the 4.0.

AD

jarz21

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I almost had the instrument cluster removed from an extended cab Ranger at my local junkyard when I realized that it was actually an '88. My dad, who was there with me, walked back up to the building and asked if it would work on a '92, and they claimed it wouldn't. As it turned out, though, they had a '92 instrument cluster with tach on the shelf in their building! So, I trudged my way back up and bought that.

The one from the '88 looks exactly like the one from '92, so I'm sure it would've worked. I ended up tearing into the replacement one so I could put my speedometer into the cluster (to have an accurate odometer reading). Everything works, but the tach occasionally seems a little jumpy. I should've greased it or something while it was off...

Kevin in PA

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Are you SURE it was a 1988 and not a 1989 with an '89 build date?

The '88 uses the same cluster as an '83-88.

The '89 cluster was used through to the end of 1994.

AD

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, my experience was different, albeit on a gen2 (1986).

I retrofitted it with a tach. The first one I got from the junkyard was off a same-year 4banger. It was blatantly wrong. Then I got one from another 2.9L and it was a whole lot better.

If you opened them up and looked, you found that the resistors behind the tach were not the same. And if you traced the wire (green/yellow) through the tach-equipped vehicle's engine harness, it went back to the coil primary (specifically, to a junction that fed the coil primary as well as the EEC-IV computer).

Note that at least at that generation, the tach and gauge cluster harnesses were not the same. The right side connector was a different shape and only had the tach and tach-ground wires for the tach version.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the middle of puting an '88 cluster with tach in my '84 with no tach. The old cluster had one connecter and the newer one has two connecters. Most of the wires are marked the same, a few aren't. The signal wire for the tach comes off the negative side of the coil primary just like an old points ignition.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals