• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS engaging while braking

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yesterday my ABS system starting engaging during routine braking. While it did that the ABS light came on, but when I turn the truck off, the light goes off. Now today the ABS comes on every time I brake and the light stays on once again til I turn the truck off. Any ideas what could be causing this? Sensor maybe?

I do have to add, last year around this time, All CV's were replaced, Centric hubs added, ball joints, ABS sensors, rotors, brake pads. The rotors were upgraded to the 12" rotors being that I have the other holes on the superlift. I dont think (other than the hubs) these are playing a part of my problem but I am not sure.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Make sure the reservoir is full of fluid.

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the reservoir is full of fluid.
It's full, just topped it off a few weeks ago. I am leaning toward sensor in the hub and possibly the hub being shot even though its new. It happens even more on left turn braking so it is making me think the whole hub and sensor is shot

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check your front wheel bearings. I have seen many times on Explorers (same setup) where the front bearing goes bad and the tone ring, wobbling of off center, in turn eats the sensor, and causes symptoms similar to what you describe, along with (on the Explorers with auto 4x4 anyway) the auto 4x4 system locking into 4x4.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's full, just topped it off a few weeks ago. I am leaning toward sensor in the hub and possibly the hub being shot even though its new. It happens even more on left turn braking so it is making me think the whole hub and sensor is shot
That could be. The chinese hubs don't last long (if that's what you used). My Dad put one on his 95 Explorer and it lasted about 18 months before the bearing was humming again.

Hopefully they are still under warranty?

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Check your front wheel bearings. I have seen many times on Explorers (same setup) where the front bearing goes bad and the tone ring, wobbling of off center, in turn eats the sensor, and causes symptoms similar to what you describe, along with (on the Explorers with auto 4x4 anyway) the auto 4x4 system locking into 4x4.
Thank you Sir, I will check it for sure tomorrow! I'm not familiar with the tone ring, but I know as much as the growling noise a bad hub can make. I believe in the Centric hub/sensors, the sensors can not be swapped, I think it has to be the whole assembly.

That could be. The chinese hubs don't last long (if that's what you used). My Dad put one on his 95 Explorer and it lasted about 18 months before the bearing was humming again.

Hopefully they are still under warranty?
I thought I was buying better getting Centric Hubs, I have to look into the warranty with the company I bought it from last year.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you Sir, I will check it for sure tomorrow! I'm not familiar with the tone ring, but I know as much as the growling noise a bad hub can make. I believe in the Centric hub/sensors, the sensors can not be swapped, I think it has to be the whole assembly.
The last one I saw the bearing wasn't even making noise. His complaint was the awful axle hop because the auto 4x4 had locked itself in because of the missing wheel speed signal but the bad bearing was the root cause.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I thought I was buying better getting Centric Hubs, I have to look into the warranty with the company I bought it from last year.
The first hub he bought was whatever Autozone's cheap-o brand was at the time. I made him get a Timken the next go around, and it was on there for a few years before he rolled it.

Speaking of, now he has a 99 that needs a hub. So we'll be doing that here shortly.

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The last one I saw the bearing wasn't even making noise. His complaint was the awful axle hop because the auto 4x4 had locked itself in because of the missing wheel speed signal but the bad bearing was the root cause.
Great, Thank you. I took the truck out again, the ABS light came on while driving, but brakes worked normally. I really have to look, I hear a tapping noise coming from that side when I hit a bump so I dont know if its related but it has to be looked at.

Being that you are a tech, I have to ask this. Centric SHOULD be a better quality part shouldnt it?

The first hub he bought was whatever Autozone's cheap-o brand was at the time. I made him get a Timken the next go around, and it was on there for a few years before he rolled it.

Speaking of, now he has a 99 that needs a hub. So we'll be doing that here shortly.
Thanks, I'll have to check out some Timkens then. I do have to find new CV nuts if I pull the hub, so I'll have to find them too lol

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Being that you are a tech, I have to ask this. Centric SHOULD be a better quality part shouldnt it?
Dunno. Never dealt with Centric. Motorcraft and Napa, that's about all I use.

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Dunno. Never dealt with Centric. Motorcraft and Napa, that's about all I use.
Napa? Really? lol....I'll call them tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Today I replaced the Centric sensors with an OEM spare I had. Took it for a quick test drive, braking is fine, no light coming on. One thing I did notice was on a sharp left turn, while braking, it feels like the ABS kicked on during that turn but no light. I'll run it a little longer to see what happens. Thinking out loud...lol...if anyone has had this issue feel free to chime in, It would be appreciated.

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well....light is back on now, but the braking is fine

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well....light is back on now, but the braking is fine
Once the light comes on, the ABS system is disabled. You'll still have normal braking, just no ABS.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Once the light comes on, the ABS system is disabled. You'll still have normal braking, just no ABS.
And you didn't read the whole thread.

He had unwanted ABS activation before replacing the hub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals