• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

rudydavisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I bought an 86 Ranger back in February. There were a few "minor" issues disclosed, but it ran great so I overlooked them. Oil leak, vibration at high speeds, power steering pump bad, brake booster hisses, etc. $1400 wasn't too bad for it. Body was/is in excellent shape. Tires brand new. Runs like a champ. 7' bed.

Anywho.... there has been (since I bought it) a rattling noise while it's running. Assumed it was a bad clutch, couldn't pinpoint it, never really tried too hard. It ran great. Was adding about a quart every two weeks, too lazy to check why it's leaking. Guy said he kept up with all maintenance (so many lies).

Anywho.... I had a short trip to go on today, about 400 miles round trip. Last night I decided to change the oil (something I had been putting off since I bought it). Everything went smooth, still didn't pinpoint the leak exactly. Added some Seafoam in with the oil to help clean it out some. Went on my trip today, got to my destination and did some riding around and had NO issues whatsoever. About 40 miles from home on my way back I notice a ticking noise (I have no ac except for the 2/70 and it was loud enough I could hear it over all the highway noise and wind noise). Kept listening for it and it seemed to get louder. About 35 miles from home I decided to stop because it was REALLY loud. Pulled over, immediately the truck stalled (5-speed BTW). Tried to start it so I could listen and it wouldn't turn over. Kept trying and finally got it to start but the highway noise prevented me from determining what it was. Decided to see if it would drive and it did... roughly.... decided to try to make it home or at least closer. Stayed at about 45 MPH for the next 10 miles or so. Got off on my exit and heard a loud POP and it shut off. Coasted as far as I could and checked around and it was leaking oil from between the motor and tranny. Wasn't in a good enough spot to determine anything. Got a tow truck and took it home. As soon as he lifted it, oil POURED out all over the place!! Got it home and took a flashlight underneath.... baseball sized hole in the oil pan and two large cracks coming from it.... there's the POP! Buddy determined that the rattling noise I was hearing was rod bearings and this trip did them in and threw a rod through the oil pan.... makes sense.

So long story longer, I need a new motor. Planning to try to salvage one from a local pull a part store but I just want to know what my options are. I currently have a 2.3L 4 cylinder and a 5-speed transmission. What will bolt to the transmission? What other Fords can I get the engine from? I am fine with staying with a 2.3L because I like the gas mileage I was getting. What years can I go up to with the 2.3L? Would like as minimal modifications as possible. Interested to hear what you guys have to say... it's only been a few hours and I miss her already!!:bawling:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
86-88 2.3 should be a direct bolt in and go. Any 2.0-2.3-2.5 will bolt in and bolt up to your trans. However, any motor that doesn't match yours exactly is going to require modification. Pretty much only wiring. If you cant find the right year, any block from 74-94 will work if you put your head on it with your fuel system.

rudydavisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So pretty much if I can find a 74-94 2.3L that has a good block then I can take all my upper components and swap it to "rebuild" my motor? (Sorry, I can do a lot of things but never had an issue like this with any of my vehicles).

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That definitely wouldn't be a "rebuild" but should get you back on the road as cheaply as possible...

If I were gonna do that, I'd go ahead and disassemble what I have first to make sure there aren't other parts I needed...

rudydavisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My idea is to get a "new" motor and have it side by side with my original motor and create a new beating heart for my Ranger....

Realistic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals