• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger slipping

Tommy2tone77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I installed a new clutch and slave 3 months back and its now slipping real bad all of a sudden, if I bleed it, I get clutch back for about a mile or so, then slipping bad again, also pedal bottoms out hard 2" before it hits the floor like it usually does when fictional right, ran great for 3 months

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How does it shift? I'm guessing that it's hard to shift, and it grinds.

That sounds to me (and I'm guessing, here) like the clutch master cylinder is shot.

Tommy2tone77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not at all,

That sounds to me (and I'm guessing, here) like the clutch master cylinder is shot.
Not at all, shifts great, no grinding at all

Tommy2tone77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

I have a pre filled master ordered, so I'll keep this thread updated as I go, maybe between me and you guys I can get this whooped. Honestly I'm a chevy man and this is the first ford I've owned in many years, I bought it not knowing the slave system was a bad design, truck was slipping when I got it, so I tore trans out and replaced slave and clutch, old clutch disk looked good still

Tommy2tone77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I just seen on my frame rail where the slave line attaches to, where it bends hard and turns up towards the master, the frame rail is wet as is the line itself and looks like its had a slow leak for some time because it has already caked up like grease on the line, so I'll buy a new line or order one anyway, the parts stores don't seem to carry any of this stuff

Tommy2tone77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the line changed, tore master out, changed line, hung the reservoir up like they say to do on youtube, bubbles automatically started coming up, I tapped the master and hard line with my wrench til bubbles stopped, capped reservoir off, wrestled it back into the truck, hooked line in down below, zero pressure in pedal, tried bleeding by pumping pedal for about an hour, gained very little pressure, no where near enough, what am I doing wrong!?!?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You need to pump the master cylinder while it was in the bench to complete the bench bleed.

Once installed, you need to gravity bleed the system in order to make sure air is removed from the rest of the system. The will be at least one air bubble created during the reconnection of the line to the connector on the slave cylinder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals