• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger clutch problem

kolb02

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I bought this 97 5 speed ranger and it seems that when the truck is cold it has a really hard time going into 2nd and seems like the other gears are hard too. When it's warm its intermittent on being hard to shift. One time last week it started to roll when the clutch was in. only did it once. Sometimes if you put it in neutral and then try to go back into a gear it wont go into any gear unless you really work at it for awhile. Does the clutch just need to be replace? Or is the tranny messed up too?

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
probably bad master cyl look under it for signs of leaking, check under dash for signs of leaking. You can also look in bell housing area for signs of leaking of slave, but I would be more inclined to say bad master cyl. Be advised depending on mileage when 1 is replaced other will probably follow soon after.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First make sure transmission is full of ATF, not regular 80 weight transmission oil, ATF(automatic transmission fluid), that's what the M5OD-R1 was designed to use, regular gear oil is too thick and you will get what you describe in cold weather.

For '97 M5OD trans Mercon ATF was spec'ed, it is now called Dex/Merc
'98(or was it '00) and up M5OD used Mercon V ATF

The newer version of Mercon V is OK to use, even on the older M5ODs according to Ford, but there were some complaints about harder shifting when using Mercon V in the older M5ODs, but that was supposedly fixed when Ford changed Mercon V to be backwards compatible.

If it isn't a trans fluid issue then bleed the clutch system

Last edited:

kolb02

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We changed the fluid and put ATF in it and bleed the system a few weeks ago and its still the same. We also checked for leakage of the master and found nothing. It seems that the throw out bearing makes a lot of noise too.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Does it shift ok with the engine off?

Try this, push the clutch pedal down to the floor, now slip your foot off the pedal so it slams up, do this 3 or so times. If there is any air in the master cylinder, this should help... Believe me, it sounds stupid, but it works....

kolb02

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I tried shifting it when its off and it seems fine. I will try the peddle thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals