• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Explorer 5.0 info?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have an offer on a 1996 Explorer with a 5.0 in it. I wanted it for the 4 new snows on it, for my wife's 92 explorer. Bolt ons no dismounting required:icon_thumby:
It actually runs pretty decent and was wondering if this is the "GT40" 5.0 or just a plain old 5.0?

the body is toast, open the doors and rockerpanels are duct tape specials. I wouldn't mind building an offroader out of it if I get it reasonable enough.

sorry for my ignorance on this but I only know about the first generation explorers. Zero experience on 95 and up:icon_confused:

is the 96 a good year for the powertrain or is it one to stay away from?
I would definitely be looking at a solid axle front for it, the owner says it needs afront wheel bearing or hub anyway.

advice/opinions welcome:icon_cheers:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I bought it, picking up Saturday noonish. The guy handed me a new, never used "Ford" 6disc CD remote player which he says they never used since they bought the Ex. :D

now I have to talk the wife into paying me something out of her account for the snows, so my play fund stays up. :icon_thumby:

It is a rotten pile but runs mint so it will sit in the barn until the snow flies and I can figure out what front axle to stick under it:icon_idea:

:beer::yahoo:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
5.0 is a bulletproof engine. I'm about 70% sure it's a gt40. 4r70w is a really good trans too.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The only engines used in the 5.0 Explorer are the "Early" GT40 engine and the slightly different GT40P

The main difference is a revised exhaust port configuiration.

Generally the 1996's are GT40's

the easy "at a glance" way to tell is to look at the exhaust manifolds.

IF you see foil wrapped tubular manifolds it's got the GT40 heads

OTOH if you see cast iron manifolds you are looking at the "P" heads.

If you look at the heads "loose" they are marked either "GT40" or "GT40P"

Frankly the GT40's aren't the only thing that's different about the engine, the intake manifold is the "round port" GT40 manifold

the upper used is unique to the Explorer, thw LOWER intake is 100% interchangable with the Cobra and Cobra-R upper intakes. (the Cobra-R was a 5.8 engine which because of it's higher decks has a wider lower intake)

Hell, the F-150 Lightning upper intake will bolt directly to it
(again an F-150 Lightning is a 5.8)

the main advantage to the GT40 heads over the GT40P's is that
"normal" headers and manifolds bolt to the GT40's.

IF you are either leaving it in an explorer OR swapping an Explorer engine into a 1998-up Ranger it's a "Six of one, half dozen of the other" situation.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals