• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 Plymouth Grand Voyager Excessive Positive Camber

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doing rotors,pads,and calipers on my dads 95 grand voyager it's a 2wd. I'm noticing the positive camber on the drivers side is getting worse. It still steers fine and is drivable but it's enough to wear the inside edge of the tire more then the outside edge. So my question is on a set up like that when it comes to alignment what do they adjust? Appears to be there is only tie rods to adjust. Either way it's going to a shop to have the alignment done i was just more curious then anything. He does need new struts but that's the next project on the list. I was more concerned about his brakes. Apparently he feels it's not important to tell me they are reallly griding. Pull the inside pad off the drivers side and all there is left is metal backing plate. No pad material. :shok: I think for now though on the tires to try and encourage even wear i'm gonna swap the one from the drivers side over to the passenger side front and the passenger side front over to the drivers side. He is looking at needing tires in the next 6 to 12 months so figure wear these out and get the alignment done all at one time.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm just guessing here but it sounds like he has a whole bunch of worn out parts on the front end. I would be inclined to carefully check everything but sooner rather than later, It's no fun if front end parts fail while you're driving.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would say your guess is correct. I know his struts for sure. He doesn't wanna put more money into it being a 95 with 180,000 miles but everything is fairly solid on it. Before we bought it the frame had been undercoated again by someone and there is minimal rust. Sure his one rear body panel is rusting but that's typical wheel well rust for the van. So yeah he probably needs a front end overhaul which if he won't pay for it i'll gladly take the van off his hands. I could use a back up vehicle since my Ranger has been down since July. lol.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If he is going to replace the struts at all do it before the alignment because the numbers will change when the struts are replaced.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If he is going to replace the struts at all do it before the alignment because the numbers will change when the struts are replaced.
X2. I am not familiar with the specifics of the Dodge setup but there are a few less-than-obvious ways to adjust camber/caster on a strut system.

The Escapes have two bolts where the knuckle meets the strut with oblong holes. Loosening the bolts and adjusting the relationship of the strut and knuckle at that point is the camber adjustment.

The Taurus and Windstar have plates on top of the strut that can be turned to adjust camber and caster.

Many vehicles with a unibody and strut front end can adjust both by shifting the subframe around.

However I would not at all be surprised if you find that simply replacing the worn spring and strut assemblies is enough to bring the camber back into spec. Worn springs can have an amazingly large effect on camber.

Back in the spring I replaced the front struts on a customer's Focus, threw it on the alignment rack to check everything since I was replacing them for broken springs. 150,000 miles on the clock, 11 years old, with the new springs on the front all I had to adjust at all was the rear toe. The RR was a degree out, every other adjustment on that car was spot on spec.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, it has an eccentric bolt/ washer set-up on the upper of the 2 spindle pinch bolts, but I think the oem set of washers are non adjustable blocks that need to be replaced with a camber kit, available at most local parts stores.

Replace everything you doing now, and the struts. Then take it to a reputable alignment shop.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really got into it and looked at it more today when i was finishing it up. Appears as though there are two bolts as mention where the strut meets the steering knuckle that look like in some way they could be adjusted then there is ofcourse the tie rod end that can be adjusted. I'm planning on getting a total cost together for him on parts and labor. He likes to see what the mechanic will charge before having me do it. Sometimes it's easier and more cost effective to send it over, still i enjoy a good challenge. I honestly think the struts along with new coil springs will bring it back in spec. So all that's going on the list of stuff my folks gotta budget for and address. I'm just glad it's back up and running and the pedal doesn't have to be pushed almost to the floor to get stopped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals