• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 xlt 4.0 dead no.2???

mulder5950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Gentlemen,
Recently I purchased a 1993 Ranger xlt 4.0 2wd from a "friend". Shortly after buying it I discovered the ignition coil wasnt giving any spark to no.2. Im assuming the truck was run for several months in this condition. I put a new coil, new wires, new plugs. No. 2 is still dead. Compression check was normal no leakage. Any ideas fellas?

I LOVE my Ranger!!! Rather have six than 5 though..

Jeremy.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Fuel injector? It the only other cylinder dedicated component unless you have a clogged intake runner not allowing air into the cylinder.

Was it a brand new coil or a JY piece?

mulder5950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply! I picked up a fuel injector haven't put it in yet. I was hesitant because when I pull the plug (several occassions) from the cylinder its wet with fuel, but im thinkin do an intake gasket set and fuel injector (since I already got it) put it together and see what happens?? The coil was new. (aftermarket). I found a mouse nest of house insulation up underneath the upper plenum cant see in enough to see if the little buggers chewed through anything. Guess I'll find out when I pull her apart. What do you think? Proceed?

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You need to check for signal at no.2 injector using a noid light. If no signal then that critter may have chewed up a wire (common). Don't install a new injector until you figure this out. Once installed you cant take it back.

mulder5950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks man, I'll make sure to check first... Can't wait to get it runnin on all 6. Truck is a blast to drive even limpin.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can hear injectors ticking when the engine is running. Put a screwdriver on it and the other end on your skull near your ear. Or just touch the injector with your fingers and see if you can feel it.

You said it was wet in there. Is it hard to start? Normally when an injector is leaky the fuel rail leaks down and it makes the engine harder to start.

I have a timing light with an inductive pickup and it makes it easy to check the plug wires to make sure juice is snapping through them. You just connect the alligators to the battery and put the pickup on each wire while the engine is running. If the strobe is flashing, that one is working. It seems to me that the 4.0 fires plugs in pairs (one spark is wasted), so whatever cylinder is sharing a cylinder with the alleged dead one should also be dead.

You've got air, or you wouldn't have compression.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If it's been sitting the injector could be stuck, but that wouldn't affect a No spark condition.

after replacing the coil does it have spark?

IF not it culd be a problem with the EDIS module or some critter chewed a wire to
the EDIS.

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's not an injector.

mulder5950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for all your insight. It is Hard to start, usually stalls out a couple of times then really catches the third time I try. Im pretty sure the fuel injector is atleast working because I can feel it pulsing. Already used a timing light to verify ignition spark to all wires (consistent at each cylinder even under higher rpms) So got spark, got compression, plugs wet got fuel? This thing didnt fire on no. 2 because of the bad coil for months before I got it, could these two be related, could the first condition of no spark at no.2 be causing my current troubles of a dead no. 2? Pull her apart?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm with AllanD. It's doubtful that the previous problem of a bad coil would continue to cause any issues preventing spark now that the coil has been replaced. You might want to get a new plug, or at least clean the old one though. Carbon and fuel fouling can interfere with spark quality.

It is more likely that you have a chewed wire somewhere.

You have a "waste spark" system. Cylinders 2 and 4 (I think) are paired to 1 coil in the pack. It fires both plugs at the same time, so with a new coil, a good wire, and two good plugs the only thing that would cause cylinder 4 to work and 2 to miss would be lack of a signal to fire for #2. That would be the responsibility of the cam sensor and the associated wires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals