• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 Ranger failed smog test.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Im gonna do plugs and wires next, i changed them about 40k ago...but the truck sat in the garage for 5 years so who knows whats good or bad on it. Ill put the stock housing back on it too. The only reason i swapped housings is because a friend did it without issues. I didnt change the cat because it was bad, i changed it to change it, if you've seen the rest of the truck you may understand, lol.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the methyl hydrate didn't bring my readings down quite as much as i was expecting, though it did bring them down... my numbers above are the "in theory" numbers...

but yeah, low octane... not sure how your testing is conducted, but i remember back home they put your vehicle on a dyno looking deal, bring it up to 60km/h, and test it driving, then test it idling... what you can do if it's the idle test that it's failing on, is bring the idle up to like 1500rpm...

thinking about it... oil is a hydro carbon also... i believe... so if you're burning any oil, that could be the cause of your hc reading...

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Ya they put it on the rollers, they drove it at 25mph for a while, didnt do an idle test though.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would run a bottle of injector cleaner through it... a poor spray pattern could leave you with unburnt fuel... even though you're not technically running rich, there could be unburnt fuel exiting the cylinder, which is exactly what HC is...
I would make a habit of putting that stuff in to reduce injector deposit build-up & remove moisture before any testing-

and then switch to e10 ethanol (10% ethanol)
Just about every gas station around here have 10% ethanol added-

but you can put methyl hydrate in your tank, it is sold at gas stations as a water remover, usually a little 6oz bottle for 7 bucks...
The brand is usually HEET (wood alcohol), which I have been told it is good for carb'ed engines. I would recommend using isopropyl alcohol at every gas tank fill-up. I buy it cheap/or on sale at drugstores. It is a safe fuel additive for injectors. Burns cleaner & keeps engine clean. Again, it reduces injector deposit build-up & removes moisture-

Arco & Chevron gas stations have a 'trade secret' that includes alcohol in gas-

Does anybody recall the "back in the old days" theory that putting in a full tank of high octane/test was a quick tune-up ??

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
hmm, well I guess it is burning some oil..this is from cyl #3, have yet to pull the rest of them..

edit, sorry its not oil, its gas. All the plugs are coated, including the plug I checked a couple weeks ago, which was dry at that time. Now heres the weird part. I changed the MAF housing back to the stock one saturday, thats all I did, and now it runs like crap, won't stay running, I have to keep it revved up for the first minute or so, then after that it will stay running, but very rough. This is only 2 start ups so far, I haven't taken it for a drive, does it just need time to relearn the housing or what?

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
well, I changed all my plugs at its still running like crap...I think I might exchange the o2 sensor to eliminate that as a cause...just weird that it started running so bad after putting the stock MAF housing back on..

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would make a habit of putting that stuff in to reduce injector deposit build-up & remove moisture before any testing-

Just about every gas station around here have 10% ethanol added-

The brand is usually HEET (wood alcohol), which I have been told it is good for carb'ed engines. I would recommend using isopropyl alcohol at every gas tank fill-up. I buy it cheap/or on sale at drugstores. It is a safe fuel additive for injectors. Burns cleaner & keeps engine clean. Again, it reduces injector deposit build-up & removes moisture-

Arco & Chevron gas stations have a 'trade secret' that includes alcohol in gas-

Does anybody recall the "back in the old days" theory that putting in a full tank of high octane/test was a quick tune-up ??
you're right for the most part, just remember that any alcohol based fluid, be it methylhydrate (methyl alcohol...) or anything similar, including ethanol, will deteriorate rubber, specifically o rings on injectors, gaskets, fuel lines... so use it sparingly

hmm, well I guess it is burning some oil..this is from cyl #3, have yet to pull the rest of them..

edit, sorry its not oil, its gas. All the plugs are coated, including the plug I checked a couple weeks ago, which was dry at that time. Now heres the weird part. I changed the MAF housing back to the stock one saturday, thats all I did, and now it runs like crap, won't stay running, I have to keep it revved up for the first minute or so, then after that it will stay running, but very rough. This is only 2 start ups so far, I haven't taken it for a drive, does it just need time to relearn the housing or what?
that's odd... changing the sensor could do that... check to make sure the maf housing is clean, and the sample tube isn't plugged or anything...

just for fun, try unplugging the MAF sensor with the one that makes it not run well... try running it, if it runs better you know you've got a messed up sensor

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I didn't change the sensor, just the housing, the housing is clean I made sure of it. just pulled my o2 and its covered in soot, along with the insides of the tailpipes. I'm starting to think its oil on the plugs, i thought they smelled like gas at first but I'm not sure now, a couple hours later they're still wet so thats leading me to believe its oil. I've only driven it 20 miles since the last time I pulled a plug, so something weird happened in that timeframe.

If its oil, do you think the intake gaskets could have failed? the truck has been sitting for the last 5 years, so its possible they could have dried up over that period, I did re-torque them years ago.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I just replaced the o2 sensor, started it up and it immediately died. So the MAF housing definitely did something weird. This is starting to get really frustrating, I've got a house to work on, I can't be screwing around with this thing every day.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I think I pinned down the rough idle, and hopefully the whole issue all together. I unplugged the MAF while it was running rough, and the idle smoothed right out, so I'm just going to replace it, seems I have all the symptons that lead to a bad MAF. Thanks for that suggestion weezl. That still leaves me scratching my head about the oil soaked plugs though..

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might unhook the battery and flip the lights on to wipe the memory in the computer so it has to learn how to run again. I had to do that when I modified the intake on my F-150 (it was in the instructions, I didn't try to start it)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, resetting the computer is what I was just going to suggest

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would use Techtron fuel cleaner(top recommended add) and/or a regime of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. (cheap/works)

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Well guys it turns out it was the maf all along. Changed it out after work and the truck runs way better. It's easier to take off from stops, and gear changes are a bit smoother as well, and most importantly, the cel stayed off. I've put about 500 miles on it since getting it drivable and here I was thinking the truck was always that hard to drive lol.

Last edited:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good news! Get another couple hundred on, and then smog test her!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals