• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 4x4 Transmission Crossmember Bushings?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need to replace the bushings that go on either side of the transmission crossmember that attaches to the frame and the transmission mount. I’ve done a little research online and apparently no one makes a replacement for them. I saw a YouTube video where someone recommended replacing them with chevy rear leaf springs part number ( RB173) but it looks like I’d need to add some washers or something too. Just wondering if anyone has already tackled this before and found a solution?

rebuild83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 suspension
Tire Size
235/75 r 15
I need to replace the bushings that go on either side of the transmission crossmember that attaches to the frame and the transmission mount. I’ve done a little research online and apparently no one makes a replacement for them. I saw a YouTube video where someone recommended replacing them with chevy rear leaf springs part number ( RB173) but it looks like I’d need to add some washers or something too. Just wondering if anyone has already tackled this before and found a solution?
on my v8 swap in a 88 ranger I had a stock bushing at the transmission to the cross member so I found a guy in town who made the bushings from a pvc plastic that he matched to the space needed on either side of the frame mount brackets. Not sure what yours looks like try a urethane bushings

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Mine are fried too, but I just ignore them... I think the only way is a whole crossmember which I remember seeing for not too bad somewhere, rock auto? it's on my list. There's also the option of swapping to the crossmember without those stupid bushings, I think it's more common on the V6 Rangers, is yours a 4 cylinder by chance? If so, it's just a matter of drilling/grinding like 6 rivets and grabbing the other crossmember, same holes...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^
This is what i did, swapped to a crossmember that mounts to the frame solid and uses a single center mount.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used a 1993 Explorer cross member , which is a solid mount on one of the 88 bronco 11s Can't remember what the other one was out off. Pretty sure though it was a Ranger. Just grind off the huck bolts on the bracket and it mounts up in those holes. Have a 84 Bronco 11 parts truck but I haven't been under it yet to see what mount is on it. Been to cold to fool with anything.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions! I’m making some replacement bushings from the Chevy ones and a bunch of washers. I’ll let you all know how it goes or if I end up having to get a new crossmember.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update: don't use they Chevy leaf spring bushings! They don't fit in snug and there's actually little bit of play between them and the cross member. I'm gonna wrap them with a little bit of tape or something for now. I ordered some bushings from Amazon that aren't made for Rangers either but they should work better.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
You guys allergic to channel iron?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I ended up putting the leaf spring bushings in after coating them with RTV. I also used washers on the outsides to take up space and I have really well-sized bolts that go through the middle of each bushing and mount to the brackets on the frame. I still wouldn't recommend doing this. I'm probably gonna have to take the bushings out again and put JB weld on them to keep the crossmember from being able to slide frontwards and backwards. So for it's working out fine though, it's just not a clean solution.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Okay so I ended up putting the leaf spring bushings in after coating them with RTV. I also used washers on the outsides to take up space and I have really well-sized bolts that go through the middle of each bushing and mount to the brackets on the frame. I still wouldn't recommend doing this. I'm probably gonna have to take the bushings out again and put JB weld on them to keep the crossmember from being able to slide frontwards and backwards. So for it's working out fine though, it's just not a clean solution.

Oem he says....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Couple of ways you can go.

Adapt a newer style cross member to your older transmission.

Make a mount and use a full sized poly Ford transfer case or transmission mount for actually mounting the transmission, the ones for a 1985 were less then $10. If you end up eating through them, then try poly, which is what I eventually used in my E-250 4x4 cross member, under my transfer case.

If you get a standard hard rubber boat roller in the 3" size

such as one like :

they fit inside a standard 3" wide steel pipe nipple, which measures 2.5" tall. Which besides being good for a quick and dirty body lift, makes a good transmission mount end that is close to stock and the hole is already 1/2".

What I did to make replacement hardware for my body mounts you can do with the rubber rollers too, so the tap bolts threads (I use 1/2 coarse x 8" grade 8) do not eat up the rubber. Get 1" tubing, 1/4" wall, drill the center out to true 1/2, drill the bushing-roller out to 1", and cut the tubing to length. Attached is what I did to use my new James Duff poly body mounts with a ghetto fab 3" body lift. I drilled out all but the two radiator mounts, out to 1" and inserted these bushings into them. I chamfered the edges to ease assembly. So, they would not fall out while assembling I used a squirt of hot glue while twisting them into the poly mounts.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals