• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger not getting fuel

253Kyle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got an 87 ranger 2.9 that's not getting fuel. Have been having fuel issues for months now and have been throwing parts at it getting it to work only to have it die a few days to weeks later.

Now the problem is the fuel pump isn't even turning on when I turn the key on. Just replaced the fuel relay, I can hear the relay kick but no pump. Also have no check engine light on either. Only lights that come on are Emiss, Seat Belt, Oil, Batt. Nothing else.

It was running fine. Turned it off Sat for a bit and wouldn't turn back on. Checked fuel pressure and there was no fuel at all at the Schrader valve.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the fuel pump relay clicks when key is turned on then computer is starting up, so CEL(check engine light) should also come on, maybe bulb is burned out?

There is another relay next to the Fuel pump relay(green base), it is the EEC relay, Brown base, it should click when key comes on and then fuel pump relay will click.
Fuel pump relay will click OFF after 2 seconds, that is normal.

For easier testing for fuel pump power, look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

second drawing shows the OBD/VIP connector, it will be in the engine bay usually near firewall on drivers side, but can be on passenger side or even under the battery.
In any cased find it.
In that drawing there is a slot labelled Fuel Pump.
That is the GROUND for the fuel pump relay, to activate it full time.
Turn on the key
Put a jumper wire in that slot and Ground the other end, the Fuel Pump relay should click and now you have power to fuel pump.

Inside the cab in passenger foot well is the Inertia switch, it cuts fuel pump power in case of an accident, but can cut power anytime if it is broken.
Google: ranger inertia switch images
So you can see what it looks like.
test for 12volts on BOTH terminal on that switch.
If you have 12volts there then get under truck and check for 12volts at the high pressure pump in the frame rail.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'd really start with the fuel pump cut off switch or fuel pump inertia switch, same thing, different names depending on who you ask or what website you look at LOL.

I had driven my 88 B2 for a couple hours got back home and it sat overnight, next morning I got the crank but no start and no fuel pump noise when I turned on the key either. I was prepared for a fuel pump replacement, but I vaguely recalled that there was a mention of those stupid fuel pump inertia switches going bad and they would start randomly tripping. So I hit the reset button, and it started as if nothing was wrong. So now I'm just waiting on a replacement switch, I'd bypass it but if I can replace the switch I'll do that for now.

Tscales

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 ford ranger v6 2.9 the person I bought if from said I had a bad fuel pump so I replaced it but that of course wasn’t the problem . I took out the safety switch in the p/s glove box and then everything started working for about 5 min and I did a lil research and found out it was most likely the relay so I replaced it and now I getting fuel all the way to my injectors but they aren’t spraying fuel into my cylinders so I’m confused.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
And for the love of God please post your solution for others to use.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 ford ranger v6 2.9 the person I bought if from said I had a bad fuel pump so I replaced it but that of course wasn’t the problem . I took out the safety switch in the p/s glove box and then everything started working for about 5 min and I did a lil research and found out it was most likely the relay so I replaced it and now I getting fuel all the way to my injectors but they aren’t spraying fuel into my cylinders so I’m confused.

If you do 50/50 test does the engine start and then die?
Spray fuel into the engine and try to start it
If it starts and dies you have a fuel delivery issue
If it doesn't start you have a spark issue
50/50 instant results

1987 2.9l system used the Distributor to time spark AND fuel injectors
So if the timing pulse for spark is not working then injectors will also not work/open

If you do the 50/50 test you can find out if spark is working first, then go from there if it is

1987 used TFI spark system on side of distributor, it runs the spark on its own, but is connected to the Computer, TFI module sends it the timing pulse for when to open injectors
So if spark is working then could just be a wiring issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals