• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 2.9L cooling issue - NOT HEADS

Shocky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm kind of going crazy. I replaced my radiator because the old one was literally disintegrating. I never had a leak and it wasn't having any overheating problems. Just simple old age. New rad went in like a charm, but now the heat doesn't work. I found out from here that I should "burp" the system and I have done so. twice on Saturday, three times on Sunday and once on Monday. It burps and I get a little heat from the vents, then it goes cold again. I also notice that when the system is cool, all the hoses collapse and the system is under a vacuum, identified by the sucking noise when I removed the cap form the radiator. I have replaced the cap with another new one.
As I said, it all worked fine until I replaced the radiator, so I don't think it's the heads.
I have a replacement heater-core, should I just change it out and get it over with?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is the line from the radiator to the overflow tank clear? When under a vacuum, then center part of the inside of the cap should pull in and draw coolant from the overflow. It sounds like there is still air to be worked out.

Shocky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is the line from the radiator to the overflow tank clear? When under a vacuum, then center part of the inside of the cap should pull in and draw coolant from the overflow. It sounds like there is still air to be worked out.
The overflow line is clear. That's why I got the new cap for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals