• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger won't start, firing order?

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, I haven't gotten a chance to set timing, my neighbor was going to bring his light over yesterday but never did. Should I run down to parts store and borrow a light first and set timing, then look for a grounded wire or that 22 ohms resistor?

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well got a timing light and timing is at 12, and advances to about 33 when spout connector is plugged in, will rev up past it when i work the throttle cable. I fixed the 22 ohm resistor and it took care of the code 18, but now I am getting a code 33c and the truck has more smoke(grey) coming out of the exhaust. Also while checking the timing it seems like every minute or so it would miss fire on the light just once like a little stutter at idle and the light wouldn't fire for just a split second. I am at a loss where to start next. Searched code 33 and its an egr or egr control valve problem, would this cause the smoke and lack of power/bogging down under throttle?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Is the smog out of the tailpipe constant or only when first starting? Could be a wonky head gasket allowing coolant to mix into the combustion...

Could also mean a cracked head...

On a positive note...it could also be condensation from not being run enough to heat up...depends on how long it smogs and when...

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The smog seems to be constant, and it looks like there was some of the copper leak fix dumped into the coolant so I hope its not a cracked head but things don't look good. It mostly does it when you rev the truck up, or turn it off then back on, but then while idle there is a small amount of smoke constantly coming out... could what ever is causing the smoke also cause the stumbling on acceleration?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, if the head is cracked or the gasket is blown and it is sucking in coolant...anti-freeze doesn't ignite too well...

Check your oil for coolant...you may need to drain it to see if anything is mixed in...if so...not good news...but if the head gasket is blown that's a fairly easy fix...replacing the head is not that difficult at that point so checking will only confirm or deny that problem....

You may also be able to tell by the condition of the plugs...can't remember what colour they turn if at all but they should be fouled by the coolant...

These heads are known to blow the gasket between the third and fourth cylinders for some reason...or is it the second and third...can't remember exactly but it has been experienced by more people than it should...so check plugs 2, 3 and 4 in particular...

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh boy well I was just out side playing around with the truck, I dunno why I didn't pull some plugs while I was out there... But I did notice a lot of water/liquid in the exhaust and tail pipe. Going to pull some spark plugs tomorrow after work if I get home in time, I just changed the plugs a few weeks ago and haven't even really been driving the truck around much(cause it won't get up past 35 and it sounds like its backfiring or just missing itself to death) When I changed the old plugs 1,4,5,6 looked great just a little hint of white to them, but 2 and 3 where a little darker... I think I'll be looking into those cylinders. Plus while I just was out pulling spark plug wires to see if I had a dead cylinder, 2 and 3 made just a slight change when all the others made a clear difference. Man I hate the weak heads on the early 2.9's, I got a 92 explorer with a 5 speed sitting next to the ranger... If its the head I might try my hand at the 4.0 swap instead of throwing new heads on it, my exhaust manifolds on this truck are rusted rotten... But I do got a lot of new parts on this 2.9 and it's only got like 79k on it...

Also noticed something strange with my EEC relay and inertia wires that's got me a little confused. I noticed my brand new IAC valve wasn't working yesterday, but it was just working when I put it on a week ago... So I took a look at my hayne's book wiring diagrams for the 86 and saw that it goes through the eec relay. Well I figured time for a new set of relays, see if they help any thing out. Put a new fuel pump and EEC relay on this morning and the fuel pumps wouldn't kick on, so I put the old FP relay back on, still nothing, put the old EEC relay on and pumps fire right up. I know that I didn't have the relays confused or backwards, but its possible its a bad EEC relay from the store. But also I noticed with the new EEC relay in, the wire to the inertia switch was getting on the warm side... and that inertia switch is fried, judging by the wiring to it, it looks like it over heated or shorted out...? Not sure what's going on there. Also I checked the IAC valve and now its working... I have the new FP relay on the truck but still the old EEC relay. The new one that didn't work was from Advanced, any one had bad luck with their relays?

Thanks for all the help guys.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I got out and working on the truck again today, pulled the plugs and they all looked black and greasy no distinct smell to them, but the 2-3 plugs were not worse off than any other plugs in fact the 2 plug looked better the most. I got a code for the Air charge sensor, so I swapped it out for the bronco ii's and the truck will now get up to about 45mph which is a big improvement but still has got the miss going on pretty bad, I noticed my battery warning light keeps coming on while driving, but yet the after market gauge is reading just fine? any one got any advice left? I am running out of idea's here, couldn't find coolant on the dipstick or oil in radiator but I know that does exactly mean my head/head gasket are fine.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got another question about it. I noticed its been shooting some smoke up from the passenger side exhaust manifold down by the connector some where I'm guessing, but it was hard to pinpoint the leak. The truck is now giving me the code 33 c again for egr valve not opening/closing or could unable to detect it opening?... whichever? Any way, I was wondering if the cats had clogged up, would/could that the cause the excess smoke?(also note I do have a can of seafoam in the tank and its less than a quarter tank full) And if the cats had clogged up could they be backing the exhaust up into the egr and causing problems and the code being thrown? I had pulled the O2 sensor and disconnected the spout plug to test for plugged cats in theory that the extra hole in the exhaust might help and it didn't change at all, but would that really help it much? and whats a better way to check for clogged cats?

Thanks for any advice in advance and sorry for all the questions mixed in with bad grammar, but I am pinch here with this truck:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals