• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger 2.9 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
was wondering how hard it is to replace the Distributor?
thanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks . cause my truck acts like it has a miss in it i did the plugs and wires

jhammel85

That doesnt necessarily mean the distributor is dead. I'd look at some other things 1st. Sometimes it can be something stupid that'll save you alot of money.

When does it miss? Idle? Underload (acceleration)? Cold Engine/Warm Engine?

How about the plugs and wires you did...Did you do the cap and rotor too? Coil? Were the plugs gapped right?

If that all checks out, I'd check for fuel problems. Have you done both fuel filters?

Check for vacuum leaks too!

Good luck man:icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
it only does it during acceleration , my buddy and i gap the plugs right .. i the owner be4 me had thoes e3 spark plug in it .. , it ran fine until i did a fuel system clean frm walmart should of known better .. now no balls i lost all power in the motor i got a new fuel filter havent put it on yet .. and my gas mileage has gone down too . could it be a coil with the miss ?

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
check the plugs again and take the distributor cap off and clean the contacts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
alright thanks guys .. hope to get it back on the road .. i know this is a different question but do u guys now if a 2.3 tranny will bolt up to my 2.9 if they r both the a4ld ?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
alright thanks guys .. hope to get it back on the road .. i know this is a different question but do u guys now if a 2.3 tranny will bolt up to my 2.9 if they r both the a4ld ?
It might be wise for you to read through the Tech Library right here on TRS....tons of good information. It might need a bell-housing switch and a torque converter from a 2.9??...this might be a better question for the transmission section too

jhammel85

it only does it during acceleration , my buddy and i gap the plugs right .. i the owner be4 me had thoes e3 spark plug in it .. , it ran fine until i did a fuel system clean frm walmart should of known better .. now no balls i lost all power in the motor i got a new fuel filter havent put it on yet .. and my gas mileage has gone down too . could it be a coil with the miss ?

When you did the fuel system clean, it could of broken alot of stuff loose and now its clogging the 2 fuel filters. Just a thought...especially if it was sitting for a while. Worth replacing anyway, you know?

Also, Like someone else said, I would double check those plugs and clean the contacts on the cap & rotor too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
i got it back in the last part of nov, 20.00 frm walmart , my buddy had is done and it was fine but his trucks an 05 . gonna look at it today ... wish me luck lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals