• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 B2 off road equipment storage ideas?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have been off roading my B2 for the past few months and every time I go out I realize something else I am missing. Last night during our midnight mudding session me and my buddy ended up getting stuck and we were not prepared for that. We had the usual tow straps rubber boots and flash lights just in case one of us got stuck but we were screwed when we both got stuck. Ended up sleeping in the trucks until this morning when someone was awake to come get us. Any ways I have been thinking of some ways to carry all of my equipment that I would need to have without having it just crammed in the truck. I am getting the roof basket for the shovel, hi lift, hatchet, spare tire, and spare fuel container. In the rear compartment I was thinking about build a storage compartment to hold my tow straps, rubber boots, tools, water, cooler and other things like batteries and flash lights etc. I was looking at building a box about 10 inches high and on the rear part of the box where the lift gate is I was going to put shelves that would slide out. Probably only 2-3 inches each to put wrenches and etc in. then on the top I would put compartments like boat compartments for my straps, d links, lights, sleeping bags, tents, etc. Just curious if anyone else has done this or knows of someone that has done this and possibly had pics of it. I would carpet the box to make it match a little better. Any tips or advice is appreciated. :icon_thumby:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

This is similar to what I want but i would tweak this design some.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting idea.

Have you gotten any further along with it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Saw a sliding then fold down roof rack for kayaks, looked and worked pretty neat.
Slides sideways and folds down to the side of the vehicle.

No reason you couldn't do the same with a weather proof carrier, put in some compartments/dividers so stuff stays put when it is folded down.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
You could bend some sheet metal and weld it on, and make holders for tools, like the old jeeps.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Interesting idea.

Have you gotten any further along with it?
I am still tweaking my design before I start actually working on it. I am debating between keeping a back seat or taking it out. I am going to mimic the design in my Stratus bass boat with the compartments. I want to keep the weight as low as possible for when I am climbing I don't want to much weight too high to throw off my balance.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Keep the weight low and use some sort of boxes or bins with lids that secure to them extremely tight. You don't want any of your equipment beaming you in the head as you are bouncing along a trail LOL.

Great idea so far. Thinking of something similar for my B2, but probably will be some sort of wooden design storage shelf type thing with slide in bins that get locked into place for travel.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why didnt you mention a come-a-long? Prolly would have saved you and your buddy some sore backs from sleeping in the truck, Doesnt take up much space and is the cheapest winch youll find, still works with a snatch block.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why didnt you mention a come-a-long? Prolly would have saved you and your buddy some sore backs from sleeping in the truck, Doesnt take up much space and is the cheapest winch youll find, still works with a snatch block.
If nothing else it will give you something to cuss at while you wait for help. :D

They work and are better than nothing, but sometimes they get annoying.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Or you can get a winch. Mines been handy several times!

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree...get a winch and use 2" receivers so U can put the winch front and/or rear to pull yourself out when needed. $500 beats the chit out of staying the night in a swamp!

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
old thread i know, but my boss has a drawer slide in the back of his van, that has mounted to it a table saw, chop saw, 2x2x4 tool box that prolly all weighs 300 lbs, it slides out on some heavy duty hinges, they make them of all sizes. Would be a good addon to your rear drawer box. easier access to the boxes, and wont slide around in a off camber situation.

stuntsunltd.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
storage idea

A large plastic cooler should help keep things dry. Place in the rear where you want it then weld or bolt on some D-rings to the floor so that ratchet straps can be used to secure it in place wile not in use. May not be too pretty but its fuctional and economical.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals