• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 rear end differance

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, Looking at updating from a 7.5 to a 8.8 limited slip on a 1997. I plan on a ranger axle not explorer. My question is what is different with the newer axles (say a 2002)? I look at car-part.com and it will combined 94-97 and 98-02. Is it the abs connector? Will it bolt up and will the cables for the e brake work? If not what needs to be changed to make it work correctly. Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
E-brake cables will work just fine assuming you are just swapping a drum brake axle for a drum brake axle. And as long as it's an axle out of a Ranger and into a Ranger, it should bolt up. Not sure about the ABS sensor, but it likely may be the same. If not, you may be able to swap your ABS sensor in.

I swapped an 8.8 in my Ranger long ago. 2000 Ranger and I don't remember what year the 8.8 came out of. Everything connected up just fine and I was able to swap over my nearly new drum brakes since my 7.5 had the 10" drums like the 8.8. If you have the smaller drums, you may need new brake hardware.

When you get into an 8.8 out of an Explorer, it gets tricky. Early Explorers used drum brakes and later Explorers used disk brakes. Naturally, if you convert to disks, you'll probably need new brake cables and you'll have to do some work on the brakes. The other issue with Explorer axles is that the spring perches need to be flipped since the Explorer runs spring-under-axle instead of spring-over-axle like Rangers.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help!

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing to keep in mind to is the 31 spline has a lot more aftermarket support.If your going to put any kind of locking system in the rear much bigger selection and a lot better prices in 31 spline.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Cool thanks!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Differences between the 93-97 and 98-00 are small, the parking brake hardware changed a bit depending on year and the hub pilot diameter is larger starting in 98. Pinion flange is the same, as are the number of teeth on the abs tone ring.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals