• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 31 spline carrier install?

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i called the local place that does gears, and turns out its gonna cost $700 after parts, labor, and all the little extra stuff... SO i figured i could just order a carrier with the R&P all set up for quite a bit less and install the carrier myself. How much easier is it to install the carrier as opposed to doin the whole job? just wanting to make sure i don't get in over my head on this one.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
i called the local place that does gears, and turns out its gonna cost $700 after parts, labor, and all the little extra stuff... SO i figured i could just order a carrier with the R&P all set up for quite a bit less and install the carrier myself. How much easier is it to install the carrier as opposed to doin the whole job? just wanting to make sure i don't get in over my head on this one.
What do mean by the "whole" job?

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
cause the R&P come already set-up in a carrier right? I was thinking i just pull the old carrier out and put the new one in? or do i have the set the R&P up too even though they are in the carrier?

I don't know a whole lot about gears, so maybe i sound pretty ignorant.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this isnt a ford 9 inch we are talking about there is no such thing as already set up 8.8. you might have the ring gear already bolted to the carrier but nothing else. every rear axle is different so you need different shims on the sides and the crush sleep for the pinion and all that. do you know anything about setting up gears?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The pinion is not part of the carrier. it goes into the housing with its own set of shims to set pinion depth. The ring is bolted to the carrier and then the carrier is put in the housing. You then have to shim it side to side until the pinion is making equal contact.

if you dont know how the 8.8 is setup, you would be better off taking it to a shop. You can bolt you ring on and buy master install kit your self, then take it to the shop and have them setup to save a little money.

-plumcrazy

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive been working on cars and trucks since i was 8. i haven't dove in the rear-ends cause i don't wanna jack something up. i'm learning about setting up gears right now, thats why i'm asking questions right now too. i know ya need different shims, thats why i was asking. sounds like you're telling me just spend the 700 to get the gears done as opposed to doin it myself.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah because if you get it up wrong you could cause 1000s in damage. it take alot of special tools and shit that cost alot more than 700. and it take alot of know how

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i just hate paying people to work on my truck. its mine, i'd rather do the work myself. but once i get out of college, then i'll just start another ranger and do the gears in that one.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Does 700 include the cost of gears and install kit? If it does, its not that bad of a price, but I am sure you could find somewhere cheaper. Thats why I was telling you to but everything you need and do everyting you can, that way all you have to do is take them the housing and carrier and have them set it up. that way all you are paying is labor. I am sure you can handle sliding the axles in and dropping in the c-clips, as well as bolting the cover on and filling it up.

-plumcrazy

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you're looking to learn the ins & outs of installing gears, check these links out:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Gear setup can be a daunting task, but if you got some mechanical knowledge, it shouldn't be too difficult once you have the proper tools. You do need to have plenty of patience though...

Those links came in real handy when I did the axles on my BII for the first time some years ago.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Does 700 include the cost of gears and install kit? If it does, its not that bad of a price, but I am sure you could find somewhere cheaper. Thats why I was telling you to but everything you need and do everyting you can, that way all you have to do is take them the housing and carrier and have them set it up. that way all you are paying is labor. I am sure you can handle sliding the axles in and dropping in the c-clips, as well as bolting the cover on and filling it up.

-plumcrazy
yeah it was for the gears and install kit, but i know i can save myself about $100 on the gears and install kit if i buy em. then $300 for the labor(flat rate). Yeah i can handle taking the axle shafts out, i'll prolly get my cousin to come help me or something cause more the merrier! haha. i just don't have another set of wheels outside of my truck, and i know my dad will go off the wall if leave my truck in our shop for more than like 2 days.

If you're looking to learn the ins & outs of installing gears, check these links out:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Gear setup can be a daunting task, but if you got some mechanical knowledge, it shouldn't be too difficult once you have the proper tools. You do need to have plenty of patience though...

Those links came in real handy when I did the axles on my BII for the first time some years ago.
That Pirate one, really good! :icon_thumby: thanks for direction 4x4junkie... one of these days i'll wind up doing gears in something when i'm not in college:icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals