• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

$500 '92 drivetrain fits my '95?

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi,

My neighbor has a vehicle graveyard on his property, and amongst the vehicles he's looking to have towed to the junkyard soon is a 1992 Ranger (manufactured 3/92 based on the door sticker) 4x4 that has been rotting away for a number of years. 4x4, v6, M5OD -- exactly the same description as my 1995 Ranger.

His axles are code 91 (3.27) whereas mine are 86 (3.73), so in reality I would like to keep mine for slightly better towing behavior but I imagine there are plenty of parts that would be worth having - or the whole axle in case something catastrophic happens.

I was thinking about buying it from him for $500 (what the junkyard is offering him per-vehicle that has a drivetrain). Should I expect everything from it to be viable drop-in spares for my '95's drivetrain? I put a new engine in the 95 but the transmission needs at least a 2nd gear synchro and I think my rear diff needs at least a bearing. I was wondering about inspecting/overhauling his transmision and front/rear axles to swap into mine at some point if the rabbit hole goes too deep on mine.

Any gotchas, or should these parts be more or less drop-in compatible? What would I need to do for the speedometer, a new speedometer gear that is correct for the new ratio if I swap the axles in?

If even a few major drivetrain components are as compatible as I think they should be, I imagine it is worth $500 and a bit of time to drag it over with the tractor.

edit: hmmmm. It sounds like the 92 may be a 4.0 so I'll think twice about this all. Thanks everyone for their input so far

Last edited:

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
What is the engine in your 95 and the engine in the 92? Ranger was obd1 until 94 and 95 is the first year of obd2, big changes in the wiring and the difference in the cabs and interior. Always good to have a truck for a few parts. The transmission and suspension is the same 2wd or 4wd until 97 when ford changed to that hideous a-arm setup in the front. For 500.00 i would buy it.

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What is the engine in your 95 and the engine in the 92? Ranger was obd1 until 94 and 95 is the first year of obd2, big changes in the wiring and the difference in the cabs and interior. Always good to have a truck for a few parts. The transmission and suspension is the same 2wd or 4wd until 97 when ford changed to that hideous a-arm setup in the front. For 500.00 i would buy it.
The same 3.0 v6 in my 95 as in the 92. Is it still all the same engine, just maybe different sensors or wiring in the same mechanical ports? Or would there be a revision to the engine between these years that would make it more of a replacement than a crate engine?

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Both are the same engine, you can use the long block from the 92 and install into your 95. Use ALL your 95 accessories for the 92 engine so it will be a direct swap. The 94 3.0 was the last year of the distributor, remove that and install the cam sensor assembly onto the 92. Transmission is the same and transfer case should be the same from 92-97..both are 3.0 rangers, both trucks should have the 7.5 axle..not sure if the front would be a Dana 35 on those ..can't recall. Been awhile since I have messed with a 90s 4wd ranger. For the speedo cable and sensor, 95 rangers did not have a speedo cable as 94 and older did. For your 95 use the speedo sensor on the 92 Transmission and it may need a new gear changed for the difference in gear ratio..again not sure about that. Use the 95 3.0 valve covers on the 92 3.0, the air inlet on the driver side is in a different location vs the 95 + location. Other than those differences all should be a direct bolt on into your 95. For 500.00 it's definitely worth it. You do buy it please take pictures I do enjoy seeing them. The 3.0 is my favorite ranger engine, as I have owned my 94 for 29 years..bought him new in 94.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Whole bunch of interchangeable parts, if you have the space and $ and plan on keeping the '95 for a while I'd do it... I just recently bought a parts rig for my '90 but had a friend interested so will just look for another over time since I didn't need the parts I thought I might need :)

'92 had a D35 up front and with 3.27's it should be a real D35 not a hybrid (that was a '93-97 thing anyway from what I remember).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The M5OD-R1(M5R1) transmissions are ENGINE SPECIFIC
If its a 2.9l V6 4x4 then it won't be an M5R1 trans
3.0l and 4.0l V6's 4x4s have M5R1s but are not interchangeable, in any year

M5R1s do not have detachable bell housing so each is made for a specific engine

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Whole bunch of interchangeable parts, if you have the space and $ and plan on keeping the '95 for a while I'd do it... I just recently bought a parts rig for my '90 but had a friend interested so will just look for another over time since I didn't need the parts I thought I might need :)

'92 had a D35 up front and with 3.27's it should be a real D35 not a hybrid (that was a '93-97 thing anyway from what I remember).
This fits my understanding as well. I need to check again whether my 95 has the hybrid or not. I know the TTB body is the one used on the D35 but can't remember what exactly I saw when I pulled the fill plug to look. I don't off-road anyway, just use the truck around the property and occasionally use 4lo to pull/drag something.

Thanks for your input

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) transmissions are ENGINE SPECIFIC
If its a 2.9l V6 4x4 then it won't be an M5R1 trans
3.0l and 4.0l V6's 4x4s have M5R1s but are not interchangeable, in any year

M5R1s do not have detachable bell housing so each is made for a specific engine
the 92 as well as my 95 both have the 3.0 v6, so it should be interchangeable?
huh. I just double-checked the VIN decoder for the 92, it's a 4.0. so I won't be able to use that transmission without using the engine too (and from what the neighbor said, that engine is tired enough I'd probably need to rebuild it first). Thanks for prompting me to double-check. I knew it was a v6 and under the hood I recalled it looking identical to my 3.0. I'll have to walk over and double check just in case it has been swapped to a 3.0 at some point in its life, but my neighbor didn't mention that it had.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yep, transmissions are the same if both are 3.0L, might be a different slave cylinder but that's easy, just get the right one for your year...

The true Dana 35 differential housing will have some fins on it, the hybrid will just be smooth, easiest way to tell, from the sounds of it you'd be fine either way, if you swap one axle though with different gear ratio's you need to do both, the only odd thing between a '92 and '95 is the rear axle is 1" narrower on the '92 but otherwise completely identical...

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Whole bunch of interchangeable parts, if you have the space and $ and plan on keeping the '95 for a while I'd do it... I just recently bought a parts rig for my '90 but had a friend interested so will just look for another over time since I didn't need the parts I thought I might need
I was mistaken, from the VIN the 92 is apparently a 4.0. Are the guts of the transmission identical, it's just the housing/casting that is different?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I was mistaken, from the VIN the 92 is apparently a 4.0. Are the guts of the transmission identical, it's just the housing/casting that is different?
The guts are not even the same. 4 cylinder/2.9/3.0 transmission have different gear ratios than 4.0 transmissions. However, you can take all of the guts from that one and put them in yours and vise versa.

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The guts are not even the same. 4 cylinder/2.9/3.0 transmission have different gear ratios than 4.0 transmissions. However, you can take all of the guts from that one and put them in yours and vise versa.
Hm thanks, this is sounding somewhat less compelling of a purchase as I've been prompted to dig into everything:
- The 4.0 is tired, and I put a rebuilt 3.0 in my ranger a couple years ago after I bought it
- The trans will be different guts/ratios, probably taller gears worse for towing?
- the axles in his are lower ratio, also would be worse for my towing and hauling usage
- the transfer case may be the only drop-in part, and that alone isn't worth $500 to me. I'll see if he can part with the xfer case, or if that's missing will the junkyard pay him less for the truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah I'd probably pass on it as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals