• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 speed manual clutch kit cost

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
Hello, i have a 2008 ford ranger XLT 2.3 liter engine 5 peed manual transmission and 6 foot box. The question is what would it cost to have a garage do the clutch slave cylinder, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and clutch master cylinder? i have done clutches before but am older not sure i want to do it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you tried asking a local shop what it would cost instead of a bunch of guys spread all over North America?

Labor rates vary wildly by region, and there can even be significant differences in a local area. Additionally the labor time quoted may differ based on the labor time guide being used by the shop. For the most accurate pricing you really need to call shops in the area you plan to have the work done and ask for estimates.

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
was just looking for some input on what it could cost to see if it marches what i found here. I did get a price of 800 to 900 for the job.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Around my parts. It’s 95 an hour. And usually 4-5 hour flat rate for a clutch job. Not including parts.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
was just looking for some input on what it could cost to see if it marches what i found here. I did get a price of 800 to 900 for the job.
What does it matter what it COULD cost somewhere else? The only number that matters to you is what it WILL cost where you take it.

You are in NY according to your profile, you got a quote of $900 for labor. Say Transman chimes in and says "Oh, at my place we would do that for $400." He's in WV, you aren't driving to West Virginia just to get a clutch replaced.

My shop charges $100/hour plus parts, but I don't know what the time on that job is off the top of my head. But you ain't driving down from NY to me for a clutch either.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Not sure if it still stands, but... "conventional wisdom" used to hold that if you're dropping the trans anyway for the slave, in addition to the related parts you listed, you'd also want to have the rear main crankshaft seal replaced, along with the clutch disk itself, and resurface/replace the flywheel... i.e. how often do you want to go through the "dropping the trans (+ transfer case)" labor-cost/exercise?... git 'er ALL done while yer in there.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure if it still stands, but... "conventional wisdom" used to hold that if you're dropping the trans anyway for the slave, in addition to the related parts you listed, you'd also want to have the rear main crankshaft seal replaced, along with the clutch disk itself, and resurface/replace the flywheel... i.e. how often do you want to go through the "dropping the trans (+ transfer case)" labor-cost/exercise?... git 'er ALL done while yer in there.
Generally yes. I just replaced the slave in my B2 the other weekend, and it failed because it was about 10 years old and the seal got messed up. I didn't do the clutch because that clutch is also 10 years old, but has less than 20K miles on it.

10 years ago I did do the clutch because I had just bought the vehicle and didn't have any idea of it's condition.

smitty2855

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3inch body lift
i was brought up in a junk yard and have two brothers that are both mechanics and my father and i have done this several times on different trucks and yes when in there replace all parts and even EGR valve because you can not get to it from the top. thanks everyone for replies. this is not my first rodeo!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals