• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 rough idle/low vacuum

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could probably lower the engine(pull motor mounts) and get front clearance
You need about 23" of clearance in the front to pull out and put in 302 cam

Put a LONG bolt on the end of cam shaft for leverage as the cam goes deeper, but not a tight bolt because you do need to remove with a free spinning cam, lol
You can put in a lifter to hold cam while removing the long bolt

You do need to be careful of pushing out bearings, should not be an issue, only use your hands, NO hammers :)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The good news is that now I at least know what to do next. For the last week or so I've mostly been staring at the thing in confusion.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Cam is out and swapped for the correct one. Same pushrods worked, I just had to adjust the shim setup a little to get everything dialed in.

Slicing a section out of the core support definitely made life much easier. I'd recommend it for anyone that ever needs to pull a cam with an installed engine. Much, much easier than pulling the engine or lifting the body.

In other news, I discovered along the way what happens if you're tired and forget to put the cap on the balancer puller that blocks it against the front of the crank. It will very happily thread its way into the end of the crank and destroy all its threads. That debacle led initially to a helicoil (it backed out on me) and eventually to tapping the crank for a 3/4-16 bolt. Repair #2 for the crank seems to have worked just fine. Not a road I'd encourage anyone else to visit!

Other than a leaking oil line and initially crossing two of my plug wires, everything else went smoothly. The truck runs immensely better now and is at a shop for a state inspection and A/C charging today. Supposedly they'll be done with it this afternoon.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Man that is a bummer. I don't envy you on the crank repair either - I remember reading horror stories about people reusing 4.0 crank bolts (which are TTY) and it backing out and destroying things.

If it makes you feel better I pulled a distributor yesterday without marking where the rotor was pointing, after taking a couple pictures of the distributor with the cap on, thinking that would suffice... now I have to re-time the whole thing... long, hot days in the shop equal mistakes

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Man that is a bummer. I don't envy you on the crank repair either - I remember reading horror stories about people reusing 4.0 crank bolts (which are TTY) and it backing out and destroying things.

If it makes you feel better I pulled a distributor yesterday without marking where the rotor was pointing, after taking a couple pictures of the distributor with the cap on, thinking that would suffice... now I have to re-time the whole thing... long, hot days in the shop equal mistakes
Honest truth?

When it happened, it didn't occur to me that one -could- helicoil and/or tap a crankshaft to a larger bolt size. I absolutely thought I'd destroyed it and was going to have to pull the motor. After four YEARS of this madness, I had about a ten minute flat out meltdown in the garage and just leaned against the truck crying and saying goodbye to the project because I just couldn't deal with this again. Wrenching on things is supposed to be a fun hobby for me, not a job/work. This one is far past that...

Then my girlfriend walked in the door of the shop with a smile on her face and dinner in a bag, and it was just enough to clear the air and let me start thinking about options. All is well.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Good deal :) glad you got it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had about a ten minute flat out meltdown in the garage and just leaned against the truck crying and saying goodbye to the project because I just couldn't deal with this again. Wrenching on things is supposed to be a fun hobby for me, not a job/work. This one is far past that...
Feel ya there, I had a couple similar moments this past year during my paint project when it wasn't cooperating. Makes sense that you could helicoil it, I just think of crankshaft steel as super hard material that is hard to drill let alone tap or whatever but it's probably not that at all.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I had to drill it twice because of the helicoil failing. Both times required renting a giant 90* drill. It went through pretty quickly, but the bit would catch hard periodically and it kicked like a mule every time that happened. Justin/85Ranger4x4 was smart enough to warn me to put on gloves. Glad I did.

Between the helicoil kit, renting the drill twice, plus the bit/tap/bolt to step up to 3/4-16, I think the whole mistake cost me about $150 and several hours of lost time. But it's running now and I'm moving forward joyfully.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The inspection station is hassling me about the brakes not grabbing well, but I'm confident that's because the rotors have surface corrosion from sitting for the last few years. I'll try to get them turned (or replaced) this weekend and throw new pads at it. Then it gets the 8.8 as soon as I can assemble it, so that's 10" drums to contribute a bit too.

A/C works well now. It was fun driving it back to work after the shop finished with it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Nice side by side shot of the older vs newer Dodge Trucks there, too.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If I'd panned over to the right, you'd get a crew cab Frontier ('02) for comparison too.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Honest truth?

When it happened, it didn't occur to me that one -could- helicoil and/or tap a crankshaft to a larger bolt size. I absolutely thought I'd destroyed it and was going to have to pull the motor. After four YEARS of this madness, I had about a ten minute flat out meltdown in the garage and just leaned against the truck crying and saying goodbye to the project because I just couldn't deal with this again. Wrenching on things is supposed to be a fun hobby for me, not a job/work. This one is far past that...

Then my girlfriend walked in the door of the shop with a smile on her face and dinner in a bag, and it was just enough to clear the air and let me start thinking about options. All is well.
Is "screw this I'm selling this for scrap" not a moment in every project? Because I think every vehicle I've had I've thought about it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've had a few decision points with various projects where it just didn't seem worthwhile to continue. None where I felt like I'd thrown everything I had at them and was legitimately defeated by it on a personal level. For a brief moment, this one took me there.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I think I'm more excited that you got it going then when I first swapped mine and drove it. I am genuinely thrilled it's on the road and running. Is it as fun to drive as you'd thought it would be? Mine sure was.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals