• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 mechanic pump tank con

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do I need to gut the fuel pump in the tank now on a 90 ranger im gonna run a carb an mechanic fuel pump or will it be able to draw enough fuel to feed a stock 5.0 without dropping the tank and gutting it into a pickup tube and return line?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have the two pump setup yes you can just use the in tank pump to feed a carb. A regulator with a gauge would be a good idea though.

A mechanical pump won't fit on most swaps which is a pretty good sized con.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to lift/tilt the bed up or slide it back to get at fuel pump, thats easier

And yes you need to remove fuel pump in the tank it would block fuel flow
Add a piece of fuel hose and strap it to the frame so its at the bottom of the tank, and add a "sock" to the end
Picture here: https://www.classicparts.com/images/23-599.jpg

Its like a pre-filter, and lays in the bottom of the tank

Plug the return line at the top of the tank
And if you are eliminating the EVAP system get a Vented Gas cap

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A 90 has a single high pressure pump.

Also a carb is likely gonna give you headaches at inspection time.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A 90 has a single high pressure pump.

Also a carb is likely gonna give you headaches at inspection time.
Its obd1 in pa and its a visual inspection so as long as it has an egr valve which thats all the ranger has now it can be accomplished with that plate that sits under the carb for an egr on a 80's mustang it'll pass even though it doesn't necessarily work. Haha

Attachments

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have the two pump setup yes you can just use the in tank pump to feed a carb. A regulator with a gauge would be a good idea though.

A mechanical pump won't fit on most swaps which is a pretty good sized con.
I was going by info on one of the tech fourms on here that said if you use a 70 econoline van pump (built upside down) it would fit. But the original plan was the pressure regulator with a bypass going from 40psi to like 5-7 psi

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its obd1 in pa and its a visual inspection so as long as it has an egr valve which thats all the ranger has now it can be accomplished with that plate that sits under the carb for an egr on a 80's mustang it'll pass even though it doesn't necessarily work. Haha
Yes, thank you for explaining PA's visual emissions inspections to me, since I am a licensed emissions inspector for the state of Pennsylvania.

It will ask about the EGR, the PCV, the evap system, the cat, AIR system and the heated air/fuel ration sensor. It's been a while since I did a visual only but I believe there is also an "other" category.

The standard is passing on the visual is if the original types of emissions control equipment are present and appear to be functioning. If someone brought me a vehicle that rolled off the line with EFI but had been swapped to a carb at the very least I am going to check "No" to the AF sensor, because a carb isn't doing anything with an oxygen sensor, which means said O2 sensor does not appear to be functioning. If I am correct about the "other" category I would fail it there too as I consider the MAF, and other sensors used in calculating the air/fuel ratio, as well as the injection system itself to part of the emissions controls.

Any honest inspector will fail it, even on a visual only inspection, so be prepared to keep it under 5K miles a year. And you can get away from it by moving the registration to a non-emissions county, since then you have the 42 county enhanced safety inspection, which asks the same questions and doesn't give you a 5K mile exemption option.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was going by info on one of the tech fourms on here that said if you use a 70 econoline van pump (built upside down) it would fit. But the original plan was the pressure regulator with a bypass going from 40psi to like 5-7 psi
I have heard that rumor too. It is where you get into the "your results may vary" parts of engine swaps.

I have no room in mine, the steering box is all over it. And then I went to the Explorer belt system so I totally have nowhere to even think about putting it.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, thank you for explaining PA's visual emissions inspections to me, since I am a licensed emissions inspector for the state of Pennsylvania.

It will ask about the EGR, the PCV, the evap system, the cat, AIR system and the heated air/fuel ration sensor. It's been a while since I did a visual only but I believe there is also an "other" category.

The standard is passing on the visual is if the original types of emissions control equipment are present and appear to be functioning. If someone brought me a vehicle that rolled off the line with EFI but had been swapped to a carb at the very least I am going to check "No" to the AF sensor, because a carb isn't doing anything with an oxygen sensor, which means said O2 sensor does not appear to be functioning. If I am correct about the "other" category I would fail it there too as I consider the MAF, and other sensors used in calculating the air/fuel ratio, as well as the injection system itself to part of the emissions controls.

Any honest inspector will fail it, even on a visual only inspection, so be prepared to keep it under 5K miles a year. And you can get away from it by moving the registration to a non-emissions county, since then you have the 42 county enhanced safety inspection, which asks the same questions and doesn't give you a 5K mile exemption option.
Guess plan B will have to happen shrink a f100 with a title and swap the body on to the ranger frame different truck then which is something I wanted to do anyway but Im going to be in a single sticker county soon anyway and I got it covered till I do that but at really most garages ive been to pass some real junk so that wanst to much of a consern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals