• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 manual locking hub problems 98 ranger.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Iv got a set of manual locking hubs on my 98 ranger because the automatic hubs stopped working or would work sometimes. I put a set of rugged ridge ones on and to make a long story short Iv bought 3 sets and got one extra under warenty from the dealer now iv gone though 7 hubs and I now have none. What do I do? Im putting them on correctly they work for a few months and they fail. thought the first set failed because my wheel barrings where going out but after I changed them they till kept breaking. Some completly blow appart some wont disengage completly they have a variety of problems. What should I do? Seems like the first time I go in mud they fail

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any other brand of locking hubs that will fit besides the AVM or Rugged ridge hubs?

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh I see it now. But wait isn't it bad to have them locked all the time? I herd it would tear stuff up

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
There is another write up of something similar to this except he cut that little screen out and you can lock and unlock the hubs using your finger. It works like a pen kinda, when you push it in all the way it locks your hubs and when you push it again half way it unlocks.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wont that destroy the front end, transfer case, Cv axles Ect? Esspecailly on the hwy

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
No. Its better than the manual hubs you have, obviously if you've gone through 7 of them, because it's just a modified OEM part. If you leave them locked in all the time it will start to slowly wear on parts but you wouldn't be replacing parts left and right. Rangers from 2000 1/2 and up have a live axle (hubs locked in all the time) so its not bad for it. Quit wasting your money on those aftermarket hubs and just modify the part that came with your truck. I did this to my 98 almost a year ago and haven't looked back.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is actually safe to drive around with the front end locked in as long as the transfer case is disengaged. The only thing it does is put a little extra wear on the front u-joints. You will have to keep an eye on them too.

This guy drove around with his hubs locked in all the time and had a u-joint lock up at about 75 miles an hour:

That is NOT typical results though. I have driven many thousands of miles with my front hubs locked and noticed nothing worse than a little extra vibration around 65 to 70.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well that sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about doing it! Lmao Another big reason I like being able to unlock them is I use the truck in 2wd vs. 2wd truck pulls and I put my truck in 4wd low and leave the hubs unlocked. It gives me a huge advantage in the torque factor.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Im going to bet the problem has nothing to do with the hubs.

If your killing them that often and you are playin in the water and mud thats a sure sign that the huge seal on the back side of the knuckle is bad where the CV shaft seals.

I had the same issue on my 99 until I realized that after 2 sets of AVM hubs that water and dirt was getting inside my hubs from the backside where that seal was completely trashed and tore.

This is a shot of the inside of my knuckle after trashing another wheel bearing which took out the hub.

Seal I speak of.

Seal installed.

How it should look.

Seals to the larger flange on the outer part of the CV

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The 2000+ Rangers have the EXACT same front axle and suspension setup you have....except they don't have locking hubs. The "hubs" are locked in all the time, even in 2wd. (Seems even Ford realized using hubs was too much of a pain in the ass and finally decided to do away with them altogether) By converting your truck to the "permanently locked" setup, you'd basically have the same setup as a newer Ranger. Driving around with hubs locked in doesn't damage anything. Only driving in 4wd on dry pavement does damage.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It is actually safe to drive around with the front end locked in as long as the transfer case is disengaged. The only thing it does is put a little extra wear on the front u-joints. You will have to keep an eye on them too.

This guy drove around with his hubs locked in all the time and had a u-joint lock up at about 75 miles an hour:

That is NOT typical results though. I have driven many thousands of miles with my front hubs locked and noticed nothing worse than a little extra vibration around 65 to 70.
I don't see how this applies to 1998+ Rangers that use CV joints, not U-joints.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the whole assembly for the wheel barrings recently and put a new set of hubs on. it burned them up. Is the seal appart of that assembly. Also I love the manual lockers because i leave them unlocked and put the truck in 4wd low and enter 2wd truck pulls and it gives me a ton of tourch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals