• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L SOHC build for power?

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A local guy has a 2006 ranger with a 4.0L SOHC that runs quite well and has ~200k kms. The truck got T-boned near the rear axle and he's looking to sell it for parts/salvage.

I found lots of info on building the 4.0L OHVs for power. What can one expect from the SOHC? I'd likely go through the entire engine as I have time and some local help.

My other option is a V8 swap but at this point its probably above my skill level - maybe the next one!

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From what I can tell the most cost effective option might be a turbo setup...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
302/5.0l V8 would be better base to build on, in my opinion

The 4.0l SOHC would be fine to use as is, replace the 2 long chain tensioners, always
Ford pushed this engine a bit to get the 207 horse power rating, pushing it more would knock down its reliability
If you were limited by 4 liter displacement in a racing class then 4.0l SOHC would be a good starting point, but for street use, it would be a weekend warrior class if modified, not a daily driver

Even a mild build 302 would eclipse a 4.0l build and be reliable
More and cheaper performance parts as well
and
"there is no replacement for displacement"

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
302/5.0l V8 would be better base to build on, in my opinion

The 4.0l SOHC would be fine to use as is, replace the 2 long chain tensioners, always
Ford pushed this engine a bit to get the 207 horse power rating, pushing it more would knock down its reliability
If you were limited by 4 liter displacement in a racing class then 4.0l SOHC would be a good starting point, but for street use, it would be a weekend warrior class if modified, not a daily driver

Even a mild build 302 would eclipse a 4.0l build and be reliable
More and cheaper performance parts as well
and
"there is no replacement for displacement"
Would you still recommend replacing the tensioners on a 05 or 06 SOHC? From what I read its mainly the earlier models that have the issue?

I've been searching for a 5.0L v8 from an explorer of similar year but it seems like there are not many around my area. It looks like the parts for the V6 are incredibly expensive and you'd be building a niche engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Explorers only had the 5.0l V8 from 1996 to 2001, those are the years used for Ranger swaps

Yes, I would replace the 2 long chain tensioners every 100k miles just as general service, like changing oil or trans fluid
The downside it just too far down in my opinion, i.e. you won't know there is a problem until you hear the rattle, and at that point the damage is done, a guide is broken, engine will have to come out
So there are no "warning signs"
And 100k miles is usually 8 years or so, Motorcraft parts cost $100-$130, only use Motorcraft for these
So at $16 year its cheap insurance in my opinion

And it you get a 4.0l SOHC engine or vehicle without papers showing when and what kind of tensioners were used, then just change them and you are set for 8 more years

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
dashhho,

Though I don't know what you want to swap into, I agree regardless with RonD, the v8 swap is the way to go for non-stock POWER.

If swapping a 5.0, is above your skill level then rebuilding a OHC 4.0l is not a sound move.

The Ford 5.0 and 302 came in other vehicles than Explorers 🙄

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
*cough*

Engines is goes vroom.

*cough*

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^^Ditto on RonD's comments above.
Change those 2 OilPressurized TimingTensioners every 100kMiles in the V6~4.0~SOHC,
along with being OCD about Engine Oil+Filter & Tranny ATF+Filter changes.
Details on the Tensioners at

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Modd box supercharger. https://modd.me/

Simplest, cheapest, most reliable way to get from 200 to 300 hp in a Ranger, largely because all the experimentation has been done for you. Also, note a 5.0 burns V-8 fuel amounts to warm up in January. A 4.0 SoHC only burns V-6 fuel quatities.

Yes, if you're lucky, you can do a Explorer 5.0 for <$2k Cdn*, but note the Explorer 5.0 only has 210hp and it and the 4R70W weigh a LOT more than the 4.0 SOHC/5R55E. The 5.0 certainly can be built for more power, but that eats into/exceeds the cost of supercharger.

*Odds of getting an Explorer with <200 Mm, especially at cost that you would want to use it in swap is getting slim these days. And rebuilding the 5.0/4R70W before installing adds a lot of cost.

Changing the cam synchros in 4.0 Sohc if you have engine out, just seems like smart thing to do. Better than having to pull motor again to do it 3 weeks later.

I did the V-8 upgrade more because it was on my bucket list, than because it was best power solution for Ranger (And I should have done a 2.0 Ecoboost, but hindsight is 20/20).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals