• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 exhaust grey smoke?

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So my engine has 256xxxxx miles on it. Its producing grey/white smoke when I start n drive for about 10 mins. Is it worth rebuilding or just get a new engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is engine overheating?

About how much oil is lost between oil changes?

What do the spark plugs look like?

4.0l OHV is a pretty long lasting engine for the most part.
Rebuilding would be better than used or new engine, "better the devil you know that the devil you don't know".

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine is not overheating. But my thermostat is broken tho. Checking the plugs today. Guy I got it from was saying there a fowl in number four #4 like waters getting in from somewhere.

Luke94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
A god dang 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just tore into my 94 with 211k and the piston rings are going bad. Idk whether that could be your problem but its something to look at.
I would rather rebuild the current engine so you know what has been done to it rather than buy a new used one that has been treated who knows how.

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Defently gonna check those Out thank you! Should I invest in a rebuild kit with aftermarket company's or try and get OEM parts?

Luke94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
A god dang 4.0
Transmission
Manual
you can get a rebuild kit for $440 from rockauto. its comes with an oil pump, timing kit, gaskets, pistons, rings, and bearings. If you are talking OEM like from the dealership i would say no mainly because you would pay an arm and a leg for the kit if they offer it.
the 440 price was what it was for my 94 last time i looked so dont quote me on that price lol

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ahaha for sure than you! Yeah OEM parts are $$$$ almost 40000 grand for a new bed for my dads ranger. Was just seeing if was worth the extra $$$

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine is not overheating. But my thermostat is broken tho. Checking the plugs today. Guy I got it from was saying there a fowl in number four #4 like waters getting in from somewhere.
It would have to be coolant, and it would cause misfires but spark plug would look like new, steam cleaned, and not fouled, fouled is from oil or very rich fuel mix.

You would know if it was overheating, you would hear the overflow tank bubbling after shutting off the engine.

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Coolant ? As in radiator? Weird cause I been checking it and is hasn't even used any like its clogged.

Luke94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
A god dang 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yep the thread you posted was the one i was talking about, and if you do a rebuild and have the funds might as well do it right and replace rocker arms, and push rods. Replace as much as the internals as needed so you dont have to tear into it again for another 200k miles! I avoid dealerships as much as possible.
You might want to try a compression test and a leak down test to. it will be able to tell you whats going on inside the engine or at least eliminate a few things.

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can I do the compression test my self or do I need to go to a shop

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any good pace for rocker arms and pushrods?

Luke94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
A god dang 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You can do a compression test yourself and with a friend if you have the tool. you can buy one from your local auto shop im sure. For rocker arms and push rods you may check online alittle bit or go to your local auto shop for that as well. Maybe even rockauto?

issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sweet will do thank you.
When I rebuild I'll be sure to make a thread and give you credit for helping me out. Love this truck sick of seeing jeeps and yotas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals