• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap, which trany should i use

iron horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 ranger extended cab with a 2.9 and i want to switch out the motor for a 302. The 302 is out of a 2000 Explorer. My plan is to stroke it out to a 347 and try to get approximatly 450hp and 435ft\lbs tq. The ideal would be a 5 or 6 speed manuel trany. I was woundering if a Tremec TR6060 or a T56 would fit under it. I'm open to whatever suggestions that you may have. It would be nice to keep the four wheel drive but its not a big deal.
Thanks for any input.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best to post down in the V-8 section. Both those trans you mentioned are expensive but can handle the power. With that amount of power in a light truck, see no need for a six speed unless you want to hit 140+ mph, not good idea with a Ranger. You could go with a "G" Force modified T-5 or one from Astro Performace that would fit in better. None of these trans have been used in 4x4 applications. Can always go with an auto for the 4x4, your truck, have to pick which evil you want to live with. Enjoy the site, have fun!!
Dave of the Nord

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best to post down in the V-8 section. Both those trans you mentioned are expensive but can handle the power. With that amount of power in a light truck, see no need for a six speed unless you want to hit 140+ mph, not good idea with a Ranger. You could go with a "G" Force modified T-5 or one from Astro Performace that would fit in better. None of these trans have been used in 4x4 applications. Can always go with an auto for the 4x4, your truck, have to pick which evil you want to live with. Enjoy the site, have fun!!
Dave of the Nord
Dunno how the ratios play out on those transmissions, but it seems on a 6 speed the overdrive is about the same as a 5 speed with another gear mixed in the first 4 to make the ratios closer.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno how the ratios play out on those transmissions, but it seems on a 6 speed the overdrive is about the same as a 5 speed with another gear mixed in the first 4 to make the ratios closer.
The T-56 has a double OD, final ratio of .62 or .5 while the Tremecs have close to the same ratios of the T-5 with only 5 gears. The 2011 Mustangs running a 6- speed now but have totally redesigned gear ratios with one od of .65 but a really low 3.66 first gear and the standard 3.31 rear gear.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals