• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 in ranger carb or efi?

93'Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i have an 5.0 efi motor out of an f150 with wiring harness, but i was thinking going carb, anyone know how big of difference in fuel mileage? i was wanting to get around 15 city

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you have it go EFI... Carbs are the past... It's kind of like abacus vs calculator, yeah, they both help you add, but the calculator is sooo much better...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
EFI. Carb is not even a choice

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Carbs are still cool :icon_confused:

I am going from an EFI 2.9 to a carbed 302...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Carbs are still cool :icon_confused:

I am going from an EFI 2.9 to a carbed 302...
Carbs are only cool on the drag strip and only then on a big ass stroker. for areas where drivability is concerned carbs can't even compete.

EFI = better throttle response
EFI = better reliability
EFI = better drivability
EFI = better power management
EFI = better fuel economy

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You're completely right, and I'd go EFI if I had all the 302 EFI stuff...carbs are just so simple to set up though.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
what parts you need?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're completely right, and I'd go EFI if I had all the 302 EFI stuff...carbs are just so simple to set up though.
I am starting out with a carb to get the bugs worked out, but would like to convert to a GM TBI later. That way you have less than 10 sensors and and can actually still see that there is in fact an engine in there.

You get the best of both worlds that way, the clean simple look of a carb with the drivablity of EFI.

Really a properly tuned carb is pretty slick, the trick is getting them and keeping them tuned though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
what parts you need?
Well I have a carbed motor out of a '74 Bronco and no EFI parts at all. So I would need upper and lower intake, sensors, wiring, computer, fuel system stuff, probably other stuff too...

Come to think of it, my buddy has all the Ford TBI stuff from another 302 :icon_idea:

Maybe if the carb doesn't work out I will swap that in.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I am starting out with a carb to get the bugs worked out, but would like to convert to a GM TBI later. That way you have less than 10 sensors and and can actually still see that there is in fact an engine in there.

You get the best of both worlds that way, the clean simple look of a carb with the drivablity of EFI.

Really a properly tuned carb is pretty slick, the trick is getting them and keeping them tuned though.
a tuned carb is fine for the drag strip but not for the road or the trail (think about hill climbs and side hilling). an EFI 302 makes 10 more HP and the same torque at the same numbers as a TBI 350 from a 3/4 ton chevy with 48 less cubic inches and a 351 beats the crap out of a TBI 350...... why you that is........ plus you need to buy a computer, have the chip re-tabled for the ford engine, you need to build an adapter to mount the TB to your intake, you still need a butt load of sensors....... need to account for EGR.... was going to cost around $400 to run a new 4.3L TB on my LandCruiser with new parts plus the best price I could find was $800 for reprograming and you need a tank with return lines so you still have plumbing issues. for $1200 you can swap in an entire EFI system on your engine with no reprograming.

Well I have a carbed motor out of a '74 Bronco and no EFI parts at all. So I would need upper and lower intake, sensors, wiring, computer, fuel system stuff, probably other stuff too...

Come to think of it, my buddy has all the Ford TBI stuff from another 302 :icon_idea:

Maybe if the carb doesn't work out I will swap that in.
EFI is still better than throttle body. Throttle body still has the problem of fuel puddling in the bottom of the intake manifold, just not as bad as a carb. TBI would be my second choice. for the cost involved and the fact that the Ford TBI was a little less than reliable I would try to find the EFI parts...... the hardest part is the wiring.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a tuned carb is fine for the drag strip but not for the road or the trail (think about hill climbs and side hilling). an EFI 302 makes 10 more HP and the same torque at the same numbers as a TBI 350 from a 3/4 ton chevy with 48 less cubic inches and a 351 beats the crap out of a TBI 350...... why you that is........ plus you need to buy a computer, have the chip re-tabled for the ford engine, you need to build an adapter to mount the TB to your intake, you still need a butt load of sensors....... need to account for EGR.... was going to cost around $400 to run a new 4.3L TB on my LandCruiser with new parts plus the best price I could find was $800 for reprograming and you need a tank with return lines so you still have plumbing issues. for $1200 you can swap in an entire EFI system on your engine with no reprograming.

My dad's '92 TBI 350 starts and runs every bit as good as my much more complicated 5.4, and even with 130k on it the thing runs pretty darn strong too. TBI makes the average redneck uneasy and they pitch them for a 4bbl at the first sign of trouble, so they are easy to dig up about anywhere used.

4bbl to TBI adapters are available for a couple bucks for the same reason. Flip it upside down and it goes the other way

I want something simple, easy to work on and reliable, that’s it. I don’t run on hill climbs, side hills, drag race, rally race, pull a 5th wheel camper or whatever. I just want a reliable cruiser that I can tear up an occasional mud road with. There are kits out there (I will look later tonight) that are about $1k tuned for your engine, which ain’t bad and there are aftermarket TBI setups (that will also work the stock GM components) as well.

Honestly the only reason I would go to down that road is I am sick of fighting the choke on my 2.8, once it warms up the thing is a running fool. If I put the 289 together and the choke works tolerable on the 2bbl that came with it I may just stay with it. After 9 years I have gone about everywhere I have needed to go, and haven’t found a hill that has stalled it yet.

I highly doubt I can just stick a 302 EFI on my 289 without touching the computer (or numerous other things). The TBI won’t need the reprogrammed, they adapt to the engine they are on. If a 305 computer will work on a 350 it should work on my 289 as well. If I choose to, I can run a Holley Megasquirt ECM with everything else.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html

I show 200hp and 300lb-ft@2800 for a 1992 351W. I don't really see that whooping too hard on a 210 HP and 300 @2800 TBI 350. 185 hp and 270 @ 2400 rpm 302's need not apply.

http://www.intellichoice.com/pop/featureDrill/category/Engine/fn/1181713/fdn/1059024/vehicle_nmb/100009265

http://www.intellichoice.com/pop/featureDrill/category/Engine/fn/1182035/fdn/1059342/vehicle_nmb/100009473

http://www.intellichoice.com/pop/featureDrill/category/Engine/fn/1182036/fdn/1059343/vehicle_nmb/100009473

Last edited:

TommyBananas

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yea man i went with a 650 edlebrock and a performer rpm intake i hoping ill have in running in the up coming weeks
:yahoo:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You wont have any problems with a carb setup. The kinda hill you would have to be on for a carb to stall out you wont find on any public road.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To the OP, about your MPG with a carb vs. EFI.

You wont get much if any better with the EFI.

If you are really concerned about millage you might want to put a different engine in. I am willing to bet, if you are like everyone else i know with a v8, you'll have a problem staying out of the throttle.LOL

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Carbs are only cool on the drag strip and only then on a big ass stroker. for areas where drivability is concerned carbs can't even compete.

EFI = better throttle response
EFI = better reliability
EFI = better drivability
EFI = better power management
EFI = better fuel economy
:icon_rofl: I can tell you've never driven a properly tuned carbed 302. I can put you behind the wheel of my 89 Ranger and unless you pop the hood, you'll never know what's under it by starting & driving it.:thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals