• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 in ranger carb or efi?

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Carb 302 wiring help!!!

ok so this seems like the closest to what i need with people who actually know what there talking about. Ok so the deal is i have a 86 B2 it has the stock harness (it would seem) the guys that had it before were running a BBC in it and i got it with no motor and a donor 302 carbed with no harness. They seemed to have just spliced in the needed wires for the BBC can ANYONE help me get this damn 302 to run??? its driving me insane trying to find a forum for this. i heard some of the stock harness will work but i dont know what i need to change. please help me sort this out thanks a ton guys for anything - J.W.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
uummmm .......... 460's with no emittion controls and 4bbl......... usually bought with a holley and replaced with a 750 CFM edelbrock with a manual choke. and stock engine to stcok engine I would take EFI any day and PISS on the carb. the only place a carb is cool is in a drag race.
emittion ? Not only are you ignorant about carbs, but you cannot spell EMISSIONS either.:icon_rofl: 70's 460's ? Same diference as with the 351M's. Weak sisters in stock form. A simple head and cam change will wake up a late 70's 460.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
emittion ? Not only are you ignorant about carbs, but you cannot spell EMISSIONS either.:icon_rofl: 70's 460's ?
Dude. Chill...not cool.

Let's have a conversation without calling someone out, alright?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
emittion ? Not only are you ignorant about carbs, but you cannot spell EMISSIONS either.:icon_rofl: 70's 460's ? Same diference as with the 351M's. Weak sisters in stock form. A simple head and cam change will wake up a late 70's 460.

first, kiss my ass ...... unless you have never miss spelled a word in your life you chevy powered freak.

second ..... stock engine for stock engine EFI beats the crap out of a carb, period. 'specially on something thats driven every day.

but yeah lets all go back to the days when you could barely breath because every redkneck and his mother's uncle was removing their EMISSION controls to make their carb'd engines run better ........ lets switch back to leaded fuel while we are at it and allow everybody to dump used motor oil down the storm drain.

Daddy do you think when I grow up I can drive a car that makes every choke when I drive by them...................... I want to get high off of fumes too.

even a bad running EFI motor still runs better than most carb'd vehicles I have driven. maintenance is not a consideration because everything I buy seems to be abused and poorly maintained weather it is carb'd, TBI, or EFI. despite what people think, I do not like having to tinker with my car every 3rd day because the temperature changed 10 degrees.......... I also like having an engine that can adjust itself for high altitudes like crossing I-70 through Colorado

you are a washed up has been (or maybe a never was) that is stuck trying to relive his glory days when everything was chevy powered with a great big atmosphere polluting carb. you already said you have to remove the emission controls and upgrade the cam to get it to run right, and spend however much replacing the POS stock 2bbl so how is that better than just turning the key letting it crank for 2 sec while it establishes oil pressure and then it run right with out modification. And when it isn't working right it tells you whats wrong, grantd you may need to do a little investigation in trying to interperate the data. Carbs suck, you live in the past, get over it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first, kiss my ass ...... unless you have never miss spelled a word in your life you chevy powered freak.

second ..... stock engine for stock engine EFI beats the crap out of a carb, period. 'specially on something thats driven every day.

but yeah lets all go back to the days when you could barely breath because every redkneck and his mother's uncle was removing their EMISSION controls to make their carb'd engines run better ........ lets switch back to leaded fuel while we are at it and allow everybody to dump used motor oil down the storm drain.

Daddy do you think when I grow up I can drive a car that makes every choke when I drive by them...................... I want to get high off of fumes too.

even a bad running EFI motor still runs better than most carb'd vehicles I have driven. maintenance is not a consideration because everything I buy seems to be abused and poorly maintained weather it is carb'd, TBI, or EFI. despite what people think, I do not like having to tinker with my car every 3rd day because the temperature changed 10 degrees.......... I also like having an engine that can adjust itself for high altitudes like crossing I-70 through Colorado

you are a washed up has been (or maybe a never was) that is stuck trying to relive his glory days when everything was chevy powered with a great big atmosphere polluting carb. you already said you have to remove the emission controls and upgrade the cam to get it to run right, and spend however much replacing the POS stock 2bbl so how is that better than just turning the key letting it crank for 2 sec while it establishes oil pressure and then it run right with out modification. And when it isn't working right it tells you whats wrong, grantd you may need to do a little investigation in trying to interperate the data. Carbs suck, you live in the past, get over it.
Actually I think you greatly insulting him by saying he has a Chevy mill under the hood.

And carbs have to suck (or rather have air sucked thru them) to work, so technically you are right on that.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
The secret to EFI like performance with a carb is using an EFI cam, a good electronic ignition and a carb sized on the small side, if it's a 4 bbl, then a smallish cfm with vacuum secondaries is what you want. My Ranger's 302 is basically a carbed Explorer motor, but with ported E7's instead of GT40's. Same cam, but enhanced with 1.7 rockers. Intake is the old style A321 topped with a 570 SA Holley. Cold starts down to 25*F with no choke.
I bet that is a fast ride! :3gears:

I would like to find an intake that allows the use of a 4V carb with 2V Cleveland heads. Anyone have one of these? :shok:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I bet that is a fast ride! :3gears:

I would like to find an intake that allows the use of a 4V carb with 2V Cleveland heads. Anyone have one of these? :shok:
You're talking about on what block ? If on a 302 block, Edelbrock makes em now, as well as on the Windsor block and the Cleveland.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

:D First off, not if it looks like your face.:yahoo: ( I expected that comeback, so I won't hold it against you:icon_thumby:I just get tired of hearing your ignorant rantings on carbs:lame:) Second, that's YOUR OPINION. With the setup in my Ranger, it drives and acts EXACTLY LIKE AN EFI MOTOR. That's a fact, not an opinion. Now if I drove it up to say, Colorado, then yea, EFI would beat it. But here where I live it's the equal to EFI. Third, I've NEVER OWNED A CHEVY. I have owned an Oldsmobile. Great cars till they swapped a Chevy motor into em. And lastly, where did I say you had to remove the EMISSIONS controls to get it to run right. I said, you had to swap the heads and cam to do that. Get it right. And as far as turning the key and letting it run for for 2 seconds to establish oil pressure for it to run right? That's EXACTLY what I have to do with my 06 Mustang GT's engine every morning. Try doing it otherwise and it'll spit and sputter and blow blue smoke out the exhaust pipes till you kill it and try it again.:icon_rofl: Sure, it runs better afterwards and gets great mileage (if you keep your foot out of the throttle body) but it runs pretty much like a carbed motor does.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Dude. Chill...not cool.

Let's have a conversation without calling someone out, alright?
That's real nice advice for someone who has a picture of Lenin as his avatar.:stop: We're not here to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :icon_rofl:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so this seems like the closest to what i need with people who actually know what there talking about. Ok so the deal is i have a 86 B2 it has the stock harness (it would seem) the guys that had it before were running a BBC in it and i got it with no motor and a donor 302 carbed with no harness. They seemed to have just spliced in the needed wires for the BBC can ANYONE help me get this damn 302 to run??? its driving me insane trying to find a forum for this. i heard some of the stock harness will work but i dont know what i need to change. please help me sort this out thanks a ton guys for anything - J.W.

All you need to get it running is an old point type dist. Swap a points eliminator kit from ACELL or PETRONIX......about $70.Use a standard coil and run 12 volts to it,push button to your solenoid to crank it and bada boom bada bing.........it should crank and run.
Might wanna put a toggle switch in line to the coil to kill it for now.
Get a Chilton's or Haynes manual,I'll be hard to follow but it will show what original wires you can use if they haven't been chopped for the chev motor.

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i found an acell points eliminator for 60 its for up to a 74 302. what if mine is newer (im not sure the year it was donated with no info)? it looks like its for the distriutor with the smaller cap mine has a adapater then a larger approx 6in cap. but i did get the chiltons manual for the b2 and im looking through it. so basically thanks a ton but will the kit work with this distributor its a single vac with adapter and a bigger cap. it also has a plug that comes out the side and plugs into a small harness that plugs into the c shaped peice on the coil but has been spliced and messed with.thanks for the help again - J.W.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's real nice advice for someone who has a picture of Lenin as his avatar.:stop: We're not here to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :icon_rofl:
Haha it's not Lenin...it's from the end of the world flash animation. If you haven't seen it you should watch it...pretty funny.

http://www.endofworld.net/

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a pretty good likeness of him to me in animation.:icon_confused:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used an old points type dist. at first.The acell eliminator had only 2 wires going to the coil.
I switched to a HIComp set up for about $150 on ebay.Thats for a brand new dist. and coil works great.
This was the old set up,all you needed was 12 volts to the coil to make it fire....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals