• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 turbo questions

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the battery is on the drivers side, which leaves a nice, big-ol' hole behind the passenger headlight to mount the turbo itself. flipping the manifolds and running the drivers side around the front of the engine to the turbo would probably work best.

there arent a lot of turbo 3.0 rangers out there, but there are some. hit google or search over at rangerpowersports.com...quite a few boosted guys over there. turboing the 3.0 is a lot more common in the ford probe crowd, so you can search for those for more information in general on the 3.0's computer control and how it likes its squeeze.

Trick450r

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i popped the hood, and holy crap i cant believe the gaping hole i found on the passenger side, i could probably put another 3.0 in it.

Anyway my plan is to put it right where the factory airbox is with both manifolds flipped and a pipe coming over the top from the drivers side, 2 into 1 into a collector. It should fit np. the saab is i believe a t25 after some research...if anyone knows anything else here are the numbers

S/N ZF00432A
P/N 452068-1S
C/N 9146010

Its got an external wastegate, i need to know what thats setup for and where i can get a different spring if its not in the 6-8 psi range. Im ordering a new wideband for this setup. I have an aem in my firebird. Thinking about going with an autometer for this, anyone have some experience with both?

i found quite a few turbo 3.0 probes, this deffinatly isnt uncharted terratory.

Trick450r

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also Where is the best place to get oil from. Ive used the oil filter sandwich adapters but that doesnt seem like the best option. Can i tap the sending unit line somewhere?

For a return line i will probably tap my oil pan.

Im gonna bring the truck in the garage tomarrow maybe (whenever i can get the cam swap done in my car and get it out of the garage and into the paint shop) and start pulling the intake and whatever else is in my way out, flip the manifolds and see where i really sit as far as room.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
WHat about a T3 from a Chrysler? They are from a 2.2 liter with 180ish HP. Internal wastegate I think set for 6-8 PSI.

You can tap the oil PSI sender for oil and just feed it right to the oil pan.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
A t-25 is too small of a turbo, unless you like spooling at idle hah... And a td05h 14b isnt that much better for a v6 application. I have owned both, I own 3 4g63 powered cars. As turbo cat said, a t3 or something of similar size would be sufficient.

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
WHat about a T3 from a Chrysler? They are from a 2.2 liter with 180ish HP. Internal wastegate I think set for 6-8 PSI.

You can tap the oil PSI sender for oil and just feed it right to the oil pan.
I use a chrysler t3 on my 4.0. There a good turbo seem to hold up well. the internal gate is set for 5 psi which is perfect. The flange is not a standard T3 flange. They have a specific chrysler T3 bolt pattern. If you look around thou there are a few people selling the chrysler specific flanges. They have a .48 ar exhaust housing for quick spool.

As for oil feed get a brass T and extension at the harware store and install a T in between the oil sender unit. I belive the T needs to be 3/8 npt if iremeber right but check it out to make sure.

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would look into porting the upper and lower intake manifold and putting some roller rockers with heavy springs. there was a guy running a stock Vulcan on RPS and he was getting 220hp with 230 tq at 9psi i think.

Trick450r

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
is anyone able to get the actual specs on the numbers that i posted up?

Unless i can get a t3 REAL cheap then im not going to be buying another turbo for this project.

I cant imagine a saab running more than 8 psi anyway.

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can also look for holset hx35's they came on the stock Cummings diesels. which is about a t3 size.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
is anyone able to get the actual specs on the numbers that i posted up?

Unless i can get a t3 REAL cheap then im not going to be buying another turbo for this project.

I cant imagine a saab running more than 8 psi anyway.
the t3 usually sell for under 50$. Also you need to chekc the turbocharger for shaft play.

Trick450r

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the t3 usually sell for under 50$. Also you need to chekc the turbocharger for shaft play.

no shaft play, both the turbos in my possession are in good shape.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the pressure fitting on the block is 1/4" NPT.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can also look for holset hx35's they came on the stock Cummings diesels. which is about a t3 size.
The flange may be the same (well HXs are acutally split scroll) but they are far different animals. The .63/.60 t3 will max out just below 300 hp. An HX 35 is good for 450+ hp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals