• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd vs. 4wd, need help choosing

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
First of all this isn't a debate thread, I just sold my 87 4x4 2.9L Ranger and bought a 96 2wd B3000.

Im so unsure of what to do right now. I just bought the B3000 2wd but I am having serious thoughts of selling it now and buying a 4wd truck. I live in BC and it's a lot of mountains and a bit of desert. I just never drove a 2wd in this kinda terrain before so I'm not too sure how well I can perform with it. I like the whole prerunners and high-performance suspensions for the 2wd though. I was thinking of just putting in a locker and buying some 30" BFG AT's but I dunno now.

Honestly how well can a 2wd with a posi (or lockright) and good tires perform? How good on hill climbs and muddy trails? (not deep gumbo muck, I stay away even in a 4wd) Snow? I am in Canada, but the lower BC only gets about 2-3 feet where I am and the road usually will have 6"+ on it in town.

Another reason I bought the 2wd was because I had a 2hr commute to school but now I am staying on campus so gas mileage is somewhat less of a concern.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you dont need 4wd for snow. i drove a 2wd s-10 for years while i lived in alaska and never entered a situation where i couldnt get where i was going.

a 2wd with a locker is a fairly capable vehicle...the problem is most people would advise against running a locker in the ice and snow...so a selectable locker would be your best bet. unfortunatly those are considerably more expensive than lunchbox lockers....

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Having 4WD is definitely nice, but I have driven 2WD Rangers though the same kind of stuff I drove my 4WD Explorer through without problems. Good tires and a good LS will help a lot.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
And also none are available for the 7.5. The only locker I know of for the 7.5 is the Lockright or the factory limited slip. Ideally I would like to upgrade to an 8.8 from a 93 or newer truck. I would like to avoid getting the 2" narrower axle.

I don't drive like an animal though so I think I could handle a lockright in the snow. I know they do tend to wanna drive sideways up hills but I think some weight and learning how to drive it might settle it down a bit.

Anyone else got any opinions on the 2wd vs 4wd? I would like to hear about climbing as there are lots of inclines in the mountains.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
all 93+ axles are the same width. you shouldnt have any problems finding a 28 spline 8.8.

an auto locker in the snow sucks no matter how you drive. they are too unpredictable.

a locked 2wd does fine on trails. its not until you get into the mud or rock climbing that the "plowing" of the front axle becomes a real problem.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I think I'll just keep my 2wd. I was talking to my Dad and he said he is considering buying a nice little 4wd like a Cherokee or something and I might go halfers with him and he can pay insurance too. It would be a nice little rig for fishing and stuff, not saying mine wouldn't be either.

It's hard to find the Ranger 8.8 with an LS in it. Especially the 93+ ones. Do the 92 and older have the same placement of spring perches and everything then? So they would bolt right in just be 2 inches narrower?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd drop in the 8.8, do a lunch box locker and get a good set of WINTER tires for winter. Most 4wd are open diffs front and rear (or the l/s wears quickly into open anyways), so your doin just as good anyways. Less weight and rotating assembly with the 2wd = less maintenance and better mpg.

-andrew

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Lunchbox lockers aren't unpredictable, nor are they any more dangerous in the snow than an LS, I wish people that haven't driven them would stop saying that. In low traction an LS will not differentiate, just like a locked locker, except a locker can actually disengage when you let off for cornering, unlike an LS. A 2wd with a locker is a capable rig, the biggest drawback I see is lack of low range, you're going to work your tranny if it's an auto or the clutch if it's a manual pretty hard.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
It's hard to find the Ranger 8.8 with an LS in it.
most lockers require the use of an open diff. carrier..

but yes the spring perches are all the same. the axle width difference is outboard of the perches.

I wish people that haven't driven them would stop saying that.
ive driven both.

a l/s has a set preload of X ft/lbs (usually below 30)....meaning the tires will only break free under the lowest traction situations. a locked locker has all the ft-lbs it would take to break the locker, side gears, or axle shafts (whatever pops first). thats enough to break the tires loose under even slight decreases in traction.

if the locker unlocks and stays that way through the turn then thats fine...but they dont always. if the inside tire looses traction and suddenly speeds up, the locker might say "oh, i need to lock now" and the sudden power sent to the outside tire will break it free and send the ass end flying.

lunchbox lockers are unpredictable in the snow. a l/s is dangerous too...but at least the outcome is always the same because the l/s is always the same.

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2WD, and I love it.

The only real limit is the 4x4ing in mud, and all that stuff.

Also, I think the smaller engine would definitely save more on gasoline.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would have to ask "how many times did you use 4WD when you had it"? If the answer is more than once in your normal driving due to road conditions then I'd say you may want to reconsider getting another 4WD vehicle...

My Zuki has 4WD...used it maybe two or three times...and probably could have used it one time less...but the other two times I know for sure I would not have made it home without a bit of a struggle...two feet of snow and no plows on the roads...

Most of my driving is pretty flat roads with the odd hill...but most 2WD vehicles can navigate that without any problems as long as the roads are cleared somewhat...really depends on the question above to determine your needs...but that would also have to be applied over several years of experience with your road conditions...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Also...with a 2wd in the snow...lots of weight in the back and skinny tires are your best friend.

When i used to DD my 87 2wd, Id put asbout 300lbs in the bed, and snow tires, i was passing 4x4's on the way home in deep snow one night.

later,
Dustin

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I would rather not go through the hassle of trading my truck in. At least not yet.

Now that I think of it the only time I used the 4wd in my 87 Ranger was either to get out of a ditch I drove into or to play with some friends on some sandy slopes. And even then I tried the slopes without 4wd engaged and made it pretty far, plus my truck was all open diffs. I may go for a lock-right when the snow settles down, I guess when snow comes next year I should remove it? Seems pretty straight forward.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
installing and removing your locker every year would be a PITA. id much rather go selectable than go through the hassle.

but you could do it if you wanted.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Well just the Lockright. It seems pretty easy to install, could probably do it in a few hours maybe. Opening it up twice a year aint that bad. Then again I might just keep it in during the winter anyways and not drive like a retard, I wouldn't install it this winter though, just saying for the next ones to come.

The 8.8 Lockright is about $100 cheap than the 7.5. I can get an open 8.8 probably for around $150-ish. The difference between buying the lockright for my 7.5 and buying an 8.8 and a lockright is like $50. Not to mention the added strength too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals