• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ICE can be made to run on it but is not the most efficient way to derive the power potential from the hydrogen.
This is true, but it probably is the most efficient way to get hydrogen into use economically to begin to build some demand/scale. Fuel cells are really expensive. But an ICE that burns hydrogen is pretty similar to one that burns Natural Gas, and those have been around in the commercial sector for a decade. They fit in the same places as a diesel or NG engine, they have similar fueling processes and maintenance. It would be pretty easy for an OEM to go that route until fuel cells become more financially viable. Personally, I see hydrogen as the "diesel" of the future that's likely to be used in applications where batteries really don't work well (continuous, heavy duty work like long distance towing, digging, or farming for example). But the Asian manufacturers seem to be investing more than American ones for passenger tech too:

They just have to scale production and figure out fueling infrastructure which are both sizeable issues but probably not overly complex. Seems like it would probably just take time and money.

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sure hope they let big diesel trucks come into CA to haul the classic cars and evil gas burners to Texas where we still love them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure hope they let big diesel trucks come into CA to haul the classic cars and evil gas burners to Texas where we still love them.
They have gotten weird with diesel trucks too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I got curious and tried to find out what gasoline is. It's made if a whole bunch of chemicals whose molecules are principally made of carbon and hydrogen atoms and look like these with other variations included.

Seems to me that my 3.slow is already burning hydrogen. I'm green!!!!!

798-7983911_gasoline-chemical-formula.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got curious and tried to find out what gasoline is. It's made if a whole bunch of chemicals whose molecules are principally made of carbon and hydrogen atoms and look like these with other variations included.

Seems to me that my 3.slow is already burning hydrogen. I'm green!!!!!

View attachment 81407
Sorry, still not a green vehicle...

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Since a lot of funding comes from taxes on fuel....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And for ice, there are alternatives To gasoline and diesel. The ability to transport hydrogen in an easy way is being worked on. There is a way to transport hydrogen as a solid. If splitting water can be made economical then ICE will rule. I'll see if I can find the link for the hydrogen article.
Here's the link to a youtube video. Skip to 8:00 if you don't want the whole story.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I saw that. WA governor wants to follow suit. I don't see it happening in the next 15 years. I know companies are working on recycling the batteries from EVs which will be a huge profit for some company in the near future if they can 100% recycle the batteries so no part ends up in the landfill.

I won't happen in our lifetime, but all the jobs that are going to be lost from gas stations closing is not going to be balanced out by recycling batteries.
He's not following suit, he signed the law several months ago, staying no new combustion vehicle will be sold starting in 2030.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
not cars but didn't cali already ban gas mowers and small engines? isn;t that banning stuff? i thought i read they banned all small engines, yard equipment, generators, stuff like that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since a lot of funding comes from taxes on fuel....
States like PA have been throwing around the idea of a miles driven tax. Since an annual safety inspection is required here, it’s easy enough to collect the yearly miles driven.

The argument is that since they don’t pay a fuel tax, this will make sure the revenue keeps coming in.

But knowing how PA handles any kind of tax and the way they spend money, it won’t stay there long. They’ll hit the hybrids next since they don’t use as much fuel. And then all vehicles will have to pay it so everyone “pays their fair share”.

The Commonwealth has already massively increased to toll road taxes and is trying to get tolls on other highways and bridges as well. Meanwhile, money that is supposed to stay with the toll roads for upkeep and repair is getting skimmed off to the PA State Police to fund for God knows what.

In any case, don’t worry, the government is going to make sure they keep the money rolling in.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Part of the issue with stuff backing up at the ports is due to the fact that CA has already put into effect a law that states big rig tractors cannot be more than 10 or 15 years of age (I forget the exact life they allow) and after that time they must be replaced. Along with that, they put into effect a law that ICE trucks cannot be used or sold in the state after I think 2030. So no trucking company wants to buy new tractors because they will have to turn them over soon, and there are not the electric or hydrogen alternatives available in quantity at this time, so there are not enough trucks. Add to that the fact that the unions managed to get through a law that independent operators are not allowed at the ports, only unionized drivers from large trucking companies and you can see why stuff is piling up at the ports in CA. So, yes they are already banning existing technology.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not cars but didn't cali already ban gas mowers and small engines? isn;t that banning stuff? i thought i read they banned all small engines, yard equipment, generators, stuff like that.
Similar to this vehicle proposal, the sale of new small engines (less than 25hp) will be banned. But you'll still be able to use existing stuff.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
NY and NJ ports have just as much issues getting cargo through, but it's not related to availability of trucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals