• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2020 Utah Overlanding trip

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just returned home from a weeklong adventure camping trip in south eastern Utah. We drove in and met some friends from Texas near Bluff and then we did a bunch of sightseeing in the Butler Wash area where we found numerous ancient Indian ruins. From there we moved on to a super cool high elevation lake west of Monticello, then two days of White Rim road in Canyonlands National Park. After that we moved on to Moab and ran the Hell's Revenge trail, camped in the La Sal mountains the night after and headed home. In the group was my Explorer, a mostly stock Super Duty, solid axle swapped Duramax, stock Dodge half ton, and a Jeep Liberty.

Trip was a lot of fun and I was glad to have the opportunity to go. My poor Explorer is a bit wounded - my new transmission pops out of first gear quite often now and it overheats at idle with the AC on so I have some work to do, but it made the trek and the 12 hour drive home so all is well. Water tank and camping shower worked really well. 4.10 gears and the e-locker were very useful, disc brake swap helped a lot in Moab... some of those climbs and downhills are STEEP.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
very cool! thanks for sharing that. I wish I was a bit closer to Moab and that area, I would love to do a week long camping trip there, especially to see the Anasazi ruins

Anson

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Man, that's awesome. Totally jealous. The east coast is hot garbage for wheeling when compared to the western states.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
very cool! thanks for sharing that. I wish I was a bit closer to Moab and that area, I would love to do a week long camping trip there, especially to see the Anasazi ruins

Anson
There was a group behind us in Hell's Revenge that had come out from MI, IN, and OH... three first gen Explorers, two Bronco II's and some Jeeps. Pretty cool to roll up into the parking lot expecting to see new Jeeps and UTVs and instead it's full of my kind of people.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Very cool!

Moab is only a few hours south of me. I need to get down there once my truck is painted

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I was just in that area. We started at Monticello and took the Rimrocker trail over to Moab. That took us two days. We also took the Kokopellis trial then headed over to Grand Mesa back in CO. It was a great trip too but we had a few strong thunderstorms at the end of the trip.

Our trials were not as difficult as you are showing. We had a couple vehicles in the group towing off-road trailers and needed to keep the difficulty level reasonable. We did have bit of difficulty getting a 7 ft wide trailer between two huge rocks that were slightly less than 7 ft apart.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I sure hope I get to have a look around out there one of these days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals