• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 ford ranger sport extended cab v6 4.0L rear wheel, automatic questions

dcorbb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger sport
Transmission
Automatic
hello just had a few questions i bought a ranger a year a go and its still in great shape ill post pictures in a bit but my oil changers place told me the transmission pan has a tiny tiny leak said nothing crazy but i want to make sure its okay, any one have experience with leaks like that and what should i look for or can do to help it? or just bring it to a mechanic basicly?

also i went and asked 4 different mechanics cause i got a oil change in the start of this year and they were trying to sell me on everything but he did show me the truck was lifted up and pulled a little on my front tires (rear wheel drive) and said the wheel bearings / ball joints need to be fully replaced but i bought my ranger at like 89000km its at 113000 now it was from a dealership not a private buyer and paid 15,000 with warranty, warranty helped pay for a new starter so far its in still great shape, canadian winter made it rust a tiny bit on bottom of doors but might replace that next year or i don't know how much it would cost for surface rust fixing on doors but anyways thanks for all the help

dcorbb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger sport
Transmission
Automatic
oops sorry meant to post this in help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If its a small leak then just check Fluid level every month or so and when its time to change fluid and filter the new gasket should solve that leak problem

Its a gravity leak, there is no pressure inside the transmission pan, the gasket is there because the metal of transmission case and pan expanded when heated and then contract when cooled down again, and they expand and contract at different rates, same as metal valve covers do
So over time small leaks can happen

Well, lower ball joints do wear out that's where all the weight of the front of vehicle sits on
And you would usually replace upper ball joint when doing the lower, and while it can be a mileage thing they can also be worn out by just sitting for long periods because internal lube is not being spread around from use, so it sticks, you don't feel it, but the wear starts and then won't stop

Same for wheel bearings, can last high miles but sitting can cause seals to stick and wear starts

You WILL see uneven tire wear on the front when these get bad

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals