• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0

Kaygogi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0L automatic 4wd. Ran well but I managed to kill the transmission. Want a manual. So, can I drop a Ranger 4x4 manual transmission in it? Uh...I'm not a mechanic just a weekend warrior. Be gentle.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, the 2004 Explorer used a Borg Warner BW4410 or BW4411 transfer case and its mounting to the transmission looks much different that the M5OD-R1 manual 4x4 trans mounting
Rangers used the BW1354 transfer case

BW4410 transfer case, transmission mount: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vxqovtIt02Q/maxresdefault.jpg
Not round

M5OD-R1 4x4 manual trans transfer case mount: https://www.therangerstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/m50D-R1HD.jpg
Round

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) is the manual trans used in Rangers from 1990-2011 with the 4.0l engines, OHV or SOHC

You might be able to swap in the M5R1 with BW1354, but "might" is the key word, would need to be 2001 and up
But in any case there will be issues with your engine computer(PCM) as its setup to "see" an automatic transmission, and there was no manual transmission option so you would need to spend some money on reprogramming
Also if there is any kind of traction control features they would most likely need to be modified
Also a clutch pedal setup would need to be figured out, as there wouldn't be an "off the shelf" version available

I would ask over at Explorer forums, they will know more about a 2004 Explorer conversion to manual transmission
Explorers stopped sharing Ranger parts in 2002 and up

Kaygogi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron. You've successfully convinced me. Not a good idea for the novice to try to tackle. Thanks for the simple explanation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals