• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 F250 diesel - discovery and build thread.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Oh the stories I could tell on the subject of government inefficiency!

We placed a government purchase request for nitrile gloves that was approved about two weeks ago by the resource advisor. Still no gloves as the latest example.
We’ve been out of red heat shrink but connectors for 2-3 months. I trained someone to submit the stock order during my last week on night shift, (I started on days on Nov 2.) we’re still waiting.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We’ve been out of red heat shrink but connectors for 2-3 months. I trained someone to submit the stock order during my last week on night shift, (I started on days on Nov 2.) we’re still waiting.
We are running into similar issues with some other things. And they are stock listed. So, they should be even easier and quicker to get. Yet here we are.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If it takes more then a day or two for the Parts manager to generate a PO for something we need, I use my company credit card to order it myself.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The tire shop told me they had to order my tires and they should be ready Friday. I was delighted when they called at 11:00 this morning and said they were ready for pickup. That's the part of my day that went well.

I had gone to the junk yard yesterday to get a spare tire and maybe a front brake rotor. Found several. But some I couldn't get because the trucks had fallen off the stand and were putting weight on the wheels. There were a couple that looked right that were on an E350 van, I forget whet year, but just a few years newer. Measuring with my tape measure, best I could, they seemed right. But I needed a 22mm socket and only had up to 21mm with me. Plus, 5:00 arrived and they closed.

So today, I went back, figuring it was worth the trip to save the money as opposed to buying new. I got a wheel and the rotor behind it was in decent shape. Just packed with mud and a light coating of surface rust. Went to pay and told them I didn't want to pay for warranty. It's a wheel and a disc brake rotor. Why would I need to return it?

Because when I got home, I found out that the lug pattern had gone metric. The wheel doesn't fit my current rotors and, of course, the rotor doesn't fit my current wheels. The difference is miniscule. But they don't work. Thr stud threads are metric, also. Mine must be 9/16" - the lug nuts won't thread on. So, $50 down the drain because I didn't pay for warranty and can't return them.

I bought a cheap set of pads from Autozone so I could put everything back together and drive it until I get a rotor. The bad wear was as I expected. The bottom slide pin for the caliper was stuck really bad. Had to take it to a vice and beat on it for a while. Got it cleaned up, lubed, re-assembled with new pads and it's good til I get the new rotor.

I also need a beefier torque wrench. Mine goes to 150 ft-lbs. The lugs are supposed to be 150-165 ft-lbs.

20230608_202922.jpg

I'm forming quite a fleet, temporarily.
20230608_202938.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You must not have an HOA...

Those folks live to write you up for a vehicle parked on the lawn.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
How much are they worth to you hahaha.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
You must not have an HOA...

Those folks live to write you up for a vehicle parked on the lawn.
I refuse to live in an HOA controlled area.

I keep my place decent. The trucks are all registered and insured and in running condition a majority of the time. I move them around to keep batteries charged and to make sure people can't accuse me of having derelicts. I have to watch how I park everything right now. I need to leave room to get the motorcycle in and out of the garage. I also hope to extend the driveway/parking area over to the side street with gravel or concrete.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I should probably be doing something more important. But decided to refresh the trailer hitch this weekend. I told you earlier that the hole for the pin was severely wallowed out. I also discovered a crack in the bottom corner of the receiver tube. I do believe this thing towed a heavy equipment trailer every day of it's life with the landscaping crew. An 8" receiver tube from Northern is much, much less than a new hitch. I have also decided to go ahead and build a simple rear bumper for this truck. I have the material. So, I might as well freshen that up, too.

20230616_112602.jpg

20230616_112611.jpg

Cracked receiver tube
20230616_112546.jpg

Can see it from the inside, too.
20230616_112627.jpg

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
The tire shop told me they had to order my tires and they should be ready Friday. I was delighted when they called at 11:00 this morning and said they were ready for pickup. That's the part of my day that went well.

I had gone to the junk yard yesterday to get a spare tire and maybe a front brake rotor. Found several. But some I couldn't get because the trucks had fallen off the stand and were putting weight on the wheels. There were a couple that looked right that were on an E350 van, I forget whet year, but just a few years newer. Measuring with my tape measure, best I could, they seemed right. But I needed a 22mm socket and only had up to 21mm with me. Plus, 5:00 arrived and they closed.

So today, I went back, figuring it was worth the trip to save the money as opposed to buying new. I got a wheel and the rotor behind it was in decent shape. Just packed with mud and a light coating of surface rust. Went to pay and told them I didn't want to pay for warranty. It's a wheel and a disc brake rotor. Why would I need to return it?

Because when I got home, I found out that the lug pattern had gone metric. The wheel doesn't fit my current rotors and, of course, the rotor doesn't fit my current wheels. The difference is miniscule. But they don't work. Thr stud threads are metric, also. Mine must be 9/16" - the lug nuts won't thread on. So, $50 down the drain because I didn't pay for warranty and can't return them.

I bought a cheap set of pads from Autozone so I could put everything back together and drive it until I get a rotor. The bad wear was as I expected. The bottom slide pin for the caliper was stuck really bad. Had to take it to a vice and beat on it for a while. Got it cleaned up, lubed, re-assembled with new pads and it's good til I get the new rotor.

I also need a beefier torque wrench. Mine goes to 150 ft-lbs. The lugs are supposed to be 150-165 ft-lbs.
Crap, that sucks. I found that out when looking for some aluminum wheels for mine. Lots of metric SD wheels available on CL for cheap as people swapped them out for aftermarket, but none of the 8x6.5 or whatever that fits mine.

I ran into the torque wrench thing too, and ended up finding a craftsman one at Lowes that was on closeout. Now I usually just reach for that one for everything.

I'm with you on the HOA. When we moved to FL we passed on quite a few houses as they seem super common here. We have four vehicles, a camper, covered trailer, and sailboat that need to be parked somewhere. None of it is shiny and new; back in ND our neighbors called me Sanford.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
HOA's, the attitude behind the idea of the HOA, and the people willing to LIVE in an HOA... all part of "the problem". Much bigger problem than a standard>metric switch on wheels lol.. although that would of pissed me right off lol.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
This ought to last the next 20 years or so, especially if I slap some paint on it. These views show it upside down, of course.

20230617_125330.jpg

20230617_125336.jpg

20230617_125343.jpg

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Bumper is tacked up. That's enough for one day.

20230617_162050.jpg

20230617_162104.jpg

20230617_162156.jpg

20230617_163709.jpg

20230617_163804.jpg

20230617_163812.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Dang, you've been busy! That bumper looks good, I like the tube for the corners... I really should do something similar for my F350, I think it has a cheap Chevy repop chrome bumper without any chrome left, and it's twisting from me putting the rear camper tiedowns to it... not to mention the Warn winch bumper up front is only held on by like 3 bolts and well just don't look how it's attached, I try to avoid it :) (I didn't do it...) come to think of it I think it's a Chevy hitch in the back that I made into a home brew super hitch...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I kinda thought SD wheels were all metric...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Annoyingly it's not that simple, it switched in like '06 or something...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals