• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Dodge Neon won't go in reverse

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if any of you mechanics out there have dealt with Neons. I have a 2002 dodge neon with a 5-speed manual transmission that won't go in reverse. I have done all of the usual tricks like shifting from 1 to R, or 2 to R, etc. I have also tried shutting if off then shifting into reverse but it still won't. I have also tried to let the clutch out while pulling back into reverse and it still won't. Just to clerify, it will not go into reverse at all. It's like something is stopping it from going in. Could be linkage or maybe there is some safety part that prohibits you from shifting into reverse from 5th. Tomorrow night I plan on pulling the center console to see if it is something obvious in the shifter linkage, but other than that I am at a loss.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey there. I have had a fair share of neons. 7 I think lol.

Heres a few things to check

They use a hydralic clutch. Check the small clutch resivor by the Driverside strut tower. Make sure your level is atleast between the min/max lines. If not Top it up with DOT3 Brake fluid or better.

The shift linkage at the transmission side is usually the ones that wear out frequently. You may have to remove the Battery and Tray to see the cables better. They like to tear and sometimes cause shifting issues.

Next check your transmission fluid. There should be a rubber fill plug on the driverside of the differential. Just behind the axle I believe. Remove the plug and make sure the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole or no more than 3/16 of an inch below. If not top it up. I cant remember if the 2nd Gen neons use ATF4 in the trannies or MTF Fluid. I know my SRT used atf4 with a friction modifier for the LSD. Low fluid will cause rough shifting and a world of other issues.

Is it grinding at all when you try to put it in reverse? Or does it feel like something stopping the shifter from moving?

Worse case it could be a bad 5th/reverse syncro gone. Neons are plentiful, Manual Trans from 01 to 05 will work. 95 to 00 are all cable clutch and wont work on a 2nd gen without modification.

Try those and see if it helps. If not PM me. I currently drive a 95 as my Daily Driver and have owned several of these cars and a Mechanic to boot. So im sure we can figure out the problem.

Matt

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
does it have a reverse lock out? a ring on the shifter you have to lift up to get it in reverse?

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there is a lock out that wont allow you to go from 5th to reverse. but no lock on the shifter.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
...thats what ya get for buying a dodge.... :icon_idea:

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is NO grinding whatsoever when I try to put it in reverse. It just won't go into reverse at all. After work today I will try some of the tips that 1989LongbedGT suggested. Their is also no whining or grinding in the transmission. I have a feeling it is either in the linkage or that lock out that keeps the shifter from going into reverse on accident

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeeaaahhhhhhhh, I know.

Wanna buy some rims for your Dak? :icon_thumby:
nope funny thing is it came with 4 allready on the truck why the hell would i want more:icon_confused:

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Cause they're PERDY and only $150 :D

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
any luck? how is the car to shift into 5th while your driving? It really sounds like a syncro but I would do all those small checks first.

Matt

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The shift linkage at the transmission side is usually the ones that wear out frequently. You may have to remove the Battery and Tray to see the cables better. They like to tear and sometimes cause shifting issues.
BINGO! This is the first thing that I checked and it just so happened to be what was wrong. There are 2 shifter cables and one of them completely shredded the bushing in it on the transmission end. I stuck a 10mm socket in there as the "bushing" and reversed worked again. So I called the dealership to see about ordering a bushing and you can only get it with all the linkage for around $130. I went up to autozone and they can't get that part either (so the guy said) but he did give me a ford bushing that I cut down a little and now it works great. My cost was $7 and a couple hours.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey sweet. Atleast it was a cheap fix. If you go to www.modernperformance.com you could have picked up a full set of poly bushings for about 18 bucks. Dealer only makes replacement cables.

I actually have a set on order for my 95 DD Neon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals