• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 v6 4.0 Shift Delay

mg677

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All,

I am slowly working through the general maintenance for a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 I picked up with 63k original miles. It has the V6 4.0 SOHC engine and the 5R55E transmission. I am already planning to change the transmission fluid/gasket/filter, but have the following problems.

Once or so on my 30 mile commute to work (street and highway) the transmission struggles to shift from 3 to 4. If I apply throttle, it refuses to shift and the car stutters a bit/rpms will not increase. To get it to shift, I need to let off the throttle and then reapply it. It then shifts fine. I also read somewhere that I should put my car in man1, accelerate to 20 mph, and see how well it engine brakes. It appears to not engine break at all. Is this indicative of a bad valve body seal (I csn inspect and replace) or are there other parts I should consider replacing?

Best,
Matt G

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your transmission is totally electronic. Being such, it's difficult sometimes to determine if you have a electrical problem or a mechanical problem with the transmission. So the first thing to do is get it scanned and see what kind of codes you have. You may also buy yourself a half decent scanner, and get one that will tell you what the transmission is being told to do, and you can see if it's following the commands it's being given. Newer vehicles are complex.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have here same Frame + V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin + 5r55e Trans + 1354 TCase + ... in a 2001 SportTracJob2.
Your describing typical slipping in a 5r55e as they get up in age\miles.
Suspect you've got a blown out ValveBodyGasket, but could be any of several things in the Trans.
Last Trans Service? = PanDrop + RetorqVBBolts + NewFilter + NewPanGasket + BandAdjust + New 5~7qts MerconV; need every 33kMiles\4yrs.
I'd first try HandPumping 24oz ATF from DipTube, replace with a bottle LucasTransmissionFix (extra thick ATF).
If that does not help, HandPump another qt of ATF from the DipTube replace with new qt MerconV then drive 50miles+; repeat several times.
If that does not help, then a FullService if it hasn't been done already.
If that does not help, then a rebuilt ValveBody with ShiftKit + NewSolenoids + BondedValveBodyGasket.
If that does not help, then a full Trans Rebuild.
Click here for more info on this 5r55e Trans.

Yep, you need an OBD2 scanner that will read all TroubleCodes including those for the Trans.
Click here for more info on ODB2 Scanners.

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Typically, as Dillard has pointed out, the symptoms you describe are due to a blown valve body gasket. The bad news is that if its been that way for any length of time, there is a good chance that the soft parts of the 4th gear packs are toast. So, in my experience, there are only 2 steps - replace the valve body (they come with the gasket glued on in a way that it is impossible to get it off) and if that doesn't solve the problem, rebuild the trans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals