• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2'' or 4''

2'' or 4'' suspension lift

• 2'' suspension with 3'' body and fender trim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4'' suspension 2'' body

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

*[M]usicMan*

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Question regarding complications with suspension lifts.

Here is the end goal so that you know what I am talking about. 33'' tires with minimum lift needed.

I know I can fit 33''s using a 4'' suspension 2'' body lift, and I also know I can fit them under 2'' suspension and 3'' body lift, with some fender trimming.

Which combination should I use that would cause me the least amount of grief with u-joints, alignment problems, etc. I have heard that anything over 3'' of suspension lift is hell on u-joints..... sooo.....

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
my buddys got a james duff 3inch lift hes looking to get rid of
drop brackets, coils an rad drop brackets..

RobinHood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard that anything over 3'' of suspension lift is hell on u-joints..... sooo.....
ln my case this is not true. l have 5.5" hybrid lift and havent had any problems with u-joints. That is my experience though.

Also what year is your truck? Early models need more lift for 33's due to the square shape of the wheel wells. With a 93+ Ranger a 4" suspension lift will give you lots of room for 33's. l ran my first Ranger like that for 2 years.

If you want the easiest install l would say a 2" spacer lift and 3" body lift. Shouldnt take more than an afternoon.

In all honesty, l would say buy a 4" suspension lift, such as Superlift, with the 4" and 5.5" holes because once you lift it, you will always want it to be a little higher. Just my thoughts...:icon_thumby:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also what year is your truck? Early models need more lift for 33's due to the square shape of the wheel wells. With a 93+ Ranger a 4" suspension lift will give you lots of room for 33's.
not to mention we dont know if his truck is ttb or ifs... would make a big difference at what exactly he does.

whitebassbenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
not to mention we dont know if his truck is ttb or ifs... would make a big difference at what exactly he does.
yeah IFS is gonna be alot of coin. :bawling:

*[M]usicMan*

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, should have posted the year and such.

Truck is a 1996 Ranger, XLT Extended Cab, 4.0l V6, and in which case is the TTB suspension.

If you want the easiest install l would say a 2" spacer lift and 3" body lift. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon.
I am not worried about the easiest, rather the method that will leave me with the least amount of troubles down the road.

Most of the people that I have talked to about this project have voiced their opinion that when lifted high, the u-joints tend to go in the most inconvenient times, and that was the biggest cause for my concern.

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
5 years of 4 1/2" lift, just replaced my first u joint...and that was more from neglect(-grease).

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I chose the 4" suspension and 2" body but the body lift is a real problem to me... go with a 5 or 6" lift with out the body.
I like the SkyJacker Lift for the pre-bar suspension.
My '88 4" SJ Kit held up great even with the 5.0L added after the lift; 5 yrs of running, street and off-road and there was minimal sag.

I would stay away from Body lift, 1" maybe.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals