• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 turbo vs. v-8

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow. Didn't think they were that heavy.

Then again, I know a guy with a F-100 that can't legally drive his truck. He put a bigger engine and 4x4 in it and now the truck's curb weight is only 50 lbs under it GVWR. He gets in it and it's over weight.
Yep, I really was wondering about that 4600 lbs. Went out an looked and the '98' 4x2 ext cab has a GVWR of 4760 and the 2000 4x4 ext cab has a GVWR of 5080. Four different sites list the curb weight of the 2000 4x4 at just less than 3600 lbs. Even up in the tech library it's arount 3500-3600. I'd sure question the accuacy of that scale.
Dave of the Nord

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think curb weight for my Vic and my dad's Marquis is somewhere around 4,350 lbs (1,973 kg). Mine has the 5.0, his the 4.6mod, and considering both regularly get low/mid 20's in highway mileage they both do good with what they've got.

I just mentioned the mods possibley addign weights because I was too lazy to read thru your build to see if you may have added weight. It was worth throwing out there seeing as alot of people on here like to add bumpers, winches, tire carriers, bigger tires (and therefore some weight), larger engine swaps, so on and so forth.
now that you mention it, i DO have larger tires, totally forgot about them, i'm up to 33x12.5's on 15x10" steelies, from the stock 31x10.5 on 15x7" alcoas... so there's probably 200 lbs there too

Wow. Didn't think they were that heavy.

Then again, I know a guy with a F-100 that can't legally drive his truck. He put a bigger engine and 4x4 in it and now the truck's curb weight is only 50 lbs under it GVWR. He gets in it and it's over weight.
that SUCKS! though personally, i don't think unsprung weight should count... it's too bad the government doesn't feel the same way...

Wait? There's a point to this thread still???? Lol I thought it was an argument on if a turbo 2.9 would work...
no... the OP dropped one post, and that's it... the first post in this thread is his first and only post on the forum... i doubt he's coming back

Yep, I really was wondering about that 4600 lbs. Went out an looked and the '98' 4x2 ext cab has a GVWR of 4760 and the 2000 4x4 ext cab has a GVWR of 5080. Four different sites list the curb weight of the 2000 4x4 at just less than 3600 lbs. Even up in the tech library it's arount 3500-3600. I'd sure question the accuacy of that scale.
Dave of the Nord
i would think the scale is accurate, it's a scale that transport canada uses for inspections, though i don't know how often they use it, as it's just sitting in a pull out and that's it... no office or anything... i think it gets used with cvse pulls someone over and does a road side "random" inspection... i could go hit one of the normal weigh stations... only problem is there's none anywhere near where i live... the closest one i know of is just over an hour away, and on the main highway, so i would actually have to go past it and come back to hit it... lol and being that snowboarding season is over... i've really go no reason to go out that way...

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
now that you mention it, i DO have larger tires, totally forgot about them, i'm up to 33x12.5's on 15x10" steelies, from the stock 31x10.5 on 15x7" alcoas... so there's probably 200 lbs there too
Now the number you posted for weight makes more sense. Stock, I doubt a Ranger fully loaded with power everything, 4wd, etc would touch the 2ton curb weight. Might come close though, or I could just be off with my guesstimations.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, 2.3 tons is only what, .3 tons over the curb? ass 400lbs of passengers, and around 150ish lbs of tire and rim (i don't remember the exact weights, minus the stock rims and tires) .3 tons is roughly 700lbs, so far we are up to around 550lbs extra... though i don't have a front bumper at all... so there's a subtraction of 50 lbs or so...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals