• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 header's...are they really worth it?

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have been doing a lot of reading around the archives and seen a lot of positive reviews from pretty much everyone on the pacesetter header set.

my one real question....do they actually make any power on the 2.9? have anyone dyno'd there rigs with stock manifolds compared to the headers....or maybe...if im lucky, has someone dyno'd a set of port matched and polished oem manifolds?

i'm just trying to see if i can justify buying them down the road. i'm gathering parts at a yard this weekend (half off sale :D) and picking up a stock intake and heads to start portmatching and building.

i'm probobly going to end up buying another set of oem exhaust manifolds from the yard as well to port and polish just to see, but if the results and knowledge is already here i'd like to know for a comparison

:icon_welder:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a brand new set in box of pace for 100$ from a guy on CL. If I install them this weekend I will let you know if I feel anything as I do not have a dyno

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a brand new set in box of pace for 100$ from a guy on CL. If I install them this weekend I will let you know if I feel anything as I do not have a dyno
butt dyno is better then none :p 100$ for a new set is a deal and a half, well done good sir

i really would like to see some dyno charts on the matter though if anyone has them. i'm one of those people who tries to get any major mod dyno compared....luck of knowing a few people with access:beer:

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
givin this thread a lil bump :)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a set on my truck, but they went in with a fresh engine which is modded , so any before and after numbers I would have had would be worthless. I would think they would be beneficial if you are port matching, just because you will have more air flow.

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set on my truck, but they went in with a fresh engine which is modded , so any before and after numbers I would have had would be worthless. I would think they would be beneficial if you are port matching, just because you will have more air flow.
see this was my thought as well....but i know some engine/head design's simply don't make power with aftermarket headers. the vw vr6 is a great example.

more or less just trying to see if anyone has bothered to dyno there rigs to actually check h/p gains. i haven't even found a questemated rating from pacesetter on there own headers....which is kind of scetchy to me. when i bought my headers for my f250 from headman i had a guarentee of a minimum of 13hp gain from stock, and after dynoing the truck with an already heavily modified motor i had actually gained 19 hp over my port matched manifolds...which only gave me a 5 hp gain over stock...

anywho, just motor rambling at this point...really hoping to find some members with data. i know that the 2wd rangers with the 2.9 are a commonly modded vehical, i would find it hard to believe that noone has done it.

really excited to hit the wrecking yard tomorrow and see what i can score at the half off sale! :D wootwoot i loooooove hording parts :headbang:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I can explain the problems you are having finding numbers and dyno sheets and such.

We are talking about a 2.9L.

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lmao yes i am aware, it isnt the most desirable of motors to mod by most, but when done right, is a damn strong motor.

i just know there are some broke mofo's out there that mod these religiously, there just hard to find lol.

BTW, could a mod please move this to the 2.9l area, i think i will get some better responces there. thank you

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
seems to me that considering the amount of cash that you have available, ANY mods you could make to a 2.9L would be beneficial to you....headers/electric cooling fans/maual steering box/efficient "cold air" intake/true duals with correct-size cats/etc really helped my 2.9L with 160,000 miles get more noticeable power to the rear wheels---probably not more than 20 hp total but every little bit helped (of course later on the V8 swap helped a lot more LOL)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've looked into modding a 2.9L several times and for the money invested, you're ahead to swap to a larger motor.

That said.... I have headers and a MAF conversion kit for a 2.9 which I intend to add to the one I have that's still running and sporting a larger throttle body already (which made a noticeable gain in and of itself). Why am I spending money on it? Well, I got the parts for cheap. My intention is to do the upgrades and swap the 2.9 back into my 88 BII and put the 4.0 that is currently in the 88 into my 89 choptop. My 88 is only going to have at most a 2-3" lift and 235/75/15 tires so there really is no need for the 4.0. The 88 is going to be just for general use. I've found that I miss having a more or less stock BII to bum around in with an auto trans (I made the mistake of selling the 89 Eddie Bauer I had for awhile). My choptop will put the 4.0 to good use turning 35's.

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems to me that considering the amount of cash that you have available, ANY mods you could make to a 2.9L would be beneficial to you....headers/electric cooling fans/maual steering box/efficient "cold air" intake/true duals with correct-size cats/etc really helped my 2.9L with 160,000 miles get more noticeable power to the rear wheels---probably not more than 20 hp total but every little bit helped (of course later on the V8 swap helped a lot more LOL)
considering that i am building the motor from the block up, there will be verious power adding mod's...thats to be expected with any build. i'm not asking for suggestion's on adding power.

i am trying to find a justification to buy headers down the road, plain and simple. yes i will inevidebly probobly get them down the road anyways strictly to revert heat more efficiantly from the head, i'm simply looking to see if anyone has paperwork proving an actual hp gain. plain and simple.

i hope i don't come off sounding rude, i'm just trying to make my intentions clear.

I've looked into modding a 2.9L several times and for the money invested, you're ahead to swap to a larger motorQUOTE]

a swap will happen down the road. i'm just going to rock an efficiently built 2.9 for the next year until i can get my fiances car paid for, get the wedding paid for, and get us into a house. in the next 2 years i plan on attempting a vw mk3 tdi swap...:icon_welder:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Got it! Nope, you're not rude.....just precise....wish I had facts/but got nothing....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals