• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Liter Points ?

johnmw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/70R 14
My credo
What ?, me worry
Did they ( whoever "they" is ) ever make a points distributor for this little 2.8 in a friends 1984 Bronco 2 ??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I think the 1974 Mustang with Cologne 2.8l used a distributor with mechanical points

There were some European imported Mercury Capri's that also had 2.8l with points, about the same year

A duraspark distributor with an HEI module is by far the most reliable spark system for the Cologne 2.8l, if that is the goal
The original spark system was trouble prone

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Listen to @RonD that is what I have in my B2 with the 2.8, it runs great!

Took some fine tuning and learning on my part, but it is a very simple and reliable system.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a plain old Duraspark setup worked well for me in my 2.8 days and continues to work well with my V8.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd prefer a Duraspark system to points and if I had a points distributor I'd put a Pertronix unit in it. It was hard enough to get good quality points 50 years ago, I suspect the off shore repro crap you'll find would be worse.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd prefer a Duraspark system to points and if I had a points distributor I'd put a Pertronix unit in it. It was hard enough to get good quality points 50 years ago, I suspect the off shore repro crap you'll find would be worse.
Your results may vary, all my tractors are running points. Right now carquest of all places have the best ones (Delco dizzys)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I agree. I see it on contactor relays and sticky starter solenoids also. The old equipment usually had silver in the contacts. But silver is pretty expensive, so they cheap out and then the contacts don't last at all.

johnmw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/70R 14
My credo
What ?, me worry
We are in the process of ordering Duraspark stuff now, I just wish who ever had this thing before it showed up here hadn't chopped everything under the hood up as bad. I am kinda starting this project with no electronics at all. Alternator and starter is about all that is still there. Carb is from a much larger engine, but if it'll start, that is a step in the right direction.

Please tell me there is a choice for a rebuilt distributor besides Cardone ????

Thanks for your input

John

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
We are in the process of ordering Duraspark stuff now, I just wish who ever had this thing before it showed up here hadn't chopped everything under the hood up as bad. I am kinda starting this project with no electronics at all. Alternator and starter is about all that is still there. Carb is from a much larger engine, but if it'll start, that is a step in the right direction.

Please tell me there is a choice for a rebuilt distributor besides Cardone ????

Thanks for your input

John
I haven't found one. And their idea of "rebuilt" is different from mine. I needed a distributor gear for a 2.9. Lots of listings, but no one had one. I broke a tooth on mine taking it off to replace the ignition pickup. So I went ahead and bought a "rebuilt" from the auto parts store, it was a Cardone. Installed it and ended up with more problems than I started with. So I took the rebuilt distributor back out, and being more careful tore it down. All that old black mucky grime was still inside the distributor bearings. The module hadn't been replaced. They hadn't even taken it apart. All they did was clean it up on the outside and sent it out the door.

I took and cleaned up everything, installed the new module I had purchased for the other distributor, lubed the bearings and put it all back together. Ran like a champ then. I paid close to $80 for that Cardone rebuilt distributor.

I too then bought a BII with the 2.8. It was running pretty bad, so I did the distributor swap to get rid of the computer system. I searched and searched, no matter who you deal with, it's always going to be a Cardone rebuild. So I had to do it and bought a 2.8 distributor for a 1979 Mustang II. It turned out to work fine. I believe we have to thank the parts changers in the world. If you get a distributor that didn;t have anything wrong with it in the first place, then when you buy it "rebuilt" then you will get a good distributor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rebuilt is where they take it all apart, test the parts and then reassemble with good used parts.

Remanufactured is where they strip it down and reassemble with new parts as if they are "remanufacturing" it. Parts are probably from Taiwan. Very top shelf if you know what I mean. :icon_thumby:

Kind of a wash which is better...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did they ( whoever "they" is ) ever make a points distributor for this little 2.8 in a friends 1984 Bronco 2 ??
Not that I know of the cologne 2.8 as far as I know has always been duraspark up until they changed to TFI in the ranger In 1983. The earlier Pinto, Capri and mustang II all came stock with the 2.8 and all had the duraspark ignition.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try this part number: D4ZZ-12127-M
2.8l distributor, using mechanical points, 1 wire hook up to coil negative
One "key on" 12volt wire to coil positive and you are done

Duraspark distributor was fine, but the Duraspark module was not that "fine", using a GM HEI module($20) was much much better(more reliable) and cheaper, also very very simple to wire up

Like this: https://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei2.gif

Duraspark wiring here: https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/692x450/durasparkfinal_692x450_c1c6be25a37f594b54d4a792878b855a2c6869db.jpg

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not that I know of the cologne 2.8 as far as I know has always been duraspark up until they changed to TFI in the ranger In 1983. The earlier Pinto, Capri and mustang II all came stock with the 2.8 and all had the duraspark ignition.
Ford didn't put electronic ignition in all their vehicles until around 1974. So there were some very early 2.8's that had points.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Try this part number: D4ZZ-12127-M
2.8l distributor, using mechanical points, 1 wire hook up to coil negative
One "key on" 12volt wire to coil positive and you are done

Duraspark distributor was fine, but the Duraspark module was not that "fine", using a GM HEI module($20) was much much better(more reliable) and cheaper, also very very simple to wire up

Like this: https://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei2.gif

Duraspark wiring here: https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/692x450/durasparkfinal_692x450_c1c6be25a37f594b54d4a792878b855a2c6869db.jpg
Points distributors require a resistance wire from the ignition switch to drop the voltage, if you feed them 12 volts the points won't last long. They also require another wire to supply 12 volts during cranking- that's what the "I" terminal on the solenoid was used for. I still own a points file and a tool that holds the points screws to help thread them in, I changed more sets of points than I can count, PLEASE don't use points. I don't hate anyone enough to recommend points ignition to them.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Points distributors require a resistance wire from the ignition switch to drop the voltage, if you feed them 12 volts the points won't last long. They also require another wire to supply 12 volts during cranking- that's what the "I" terminal on the solenoid was used for. I still own a points file and a tool that holds the points screws to help thread them in, I changed more sets of points than I can count, PLEASE don't use points. I don't hate anyone enough to recommend points ignition to them.
Ford's Duraspark II ignition requires the resistor and the resistor bypass also, just like the point system. The GM HEI does not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals