• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.6lv6 4x4 carb flods after start

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Help me please, I dont know what else to do!, So, I re build carb a few months ago, and it was running great!. I Also did a major tune up and other items as time went on. (solenoid, fuel pump, oil pressure sensor, starter, water temp. sensor,...) The last time i changed something was the selector valve,(i have two tanks). Here is why. I was not getting any fuel to the carb at all. So i started with the valve instead of the tank. I turn the ignition and baam!! starts!, left it running for a while on its own and then it just died. It would start again, but it dies after a minute or so. I have fuel spitting out the carb., I changed the float again, and i adjusted the choke( i did not set it properly). Now i get to start again, but after a minute or so, The carb flods or something because fuel spits out the carb. Any thought anyone? ...Please?... you can make it my late Christmas present! Time for a new carb?..maybe.. thanks everyone!, great forum and happy to be a part of it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What are you using for a fuel pump, mechanical or electric?

I assume electric.
Try just turning the key on but don't start engine, listen for the fuel pump, leave key on and check for gas flooding the carb.
Could be fuel pump is over powering the float valve, I believe you should have 5 to 7psi at the carb.
If you can disable fuel pump power, fuse or relay, then start engine and see if it still floods out, if so then you will need to rebuild again, something has opened up inside the carb.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It would be a big help if you were to post a picture of the carb.

From where is the fuel spilling? It's possible the float is set too high, and the needle and seat aren't cutting off the flow of fuel.

There isn't much to adjust with the choke cap, you alight the notch in the cap.

I do not believe it is time for a new carb, but we need more information to be able to diagnose what is going on and make recommendations.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the float sticks, or rubs, on the side of the bowl, it can prevent the inlet needle from seating and cause flooding. Remove the top and look down into the fuel bowl.

You probably don't need a new carb; just re-check everything carefully.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You do have a fuel filter operational? If bypassed, some crap from the tank might hold open the needle.

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to post on this issue. Its a manual fuel pump. And I have two tanks on this truck.

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the fuel is spilling from the top. I will try to make a video and post it on youtube and put the link in here so everyone gets a better idea as to what is happening. I am going to do the video first and then open up the carb and re build it. I am going to check the needles and also the choke. i also added an external fuel filter to the line because i am pretty sure theres a bunch of gunk coming from the tanks. I will post the video shortly and put the link here. Thanks for all the input on this everyone, I will take all of this info that you guys are providing and apply it to this issue, i am confident that we can get it working again!

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the only fuel filter on this is set at the carburator bowl, on the outside. the fuel line from the manual pump conects to it. I have added an extra filter before the fuel pump on the line to help with debris from the tank. I have not open up the tanks of fuel to clean them up and check the sending units and all that stuff. but if we get it running again, thats the next thing on my to do list.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A carb uses engine vacuum(negative pressure) to pull fuel out of the carb.
The fuel pump is the only positive pressure in the system, and that has a valve in the float bowl to prevent what you are describing.

"The top of the carb" is above the float bowl, so without positive pressure, or high negative pressure no fuel should be at "the top of the carb".
There are "high speed draw ports" there, these allow even more fuel to be pulled directly from the float bowl at Wide Open Throttle, they can also act as Overflow ports in case float valve sticks open, this feeds fuel into engine flooding it, instead of all over engine where it could catch on fire.

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello RonD. I am on the process of uploading a video of the issue on to the web. Its a public video so anyone can see it if they want. I will let everyone know as soon as is uploaded.

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
title of the video will be 83 ranger carb overflows. its made by abraham

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
video is uploaded to youtube everyone, please let me know what you think. title: "83 ranger carb overflows." there is also another one title : "83 ranger carb 3"

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You need to pull off the top of the carb and check the fuel level. I don't have specs for an '83, but I think the fuel level should be around .810 (fuel level measured from bottom of fuel bowl). This is adjusted by bending the tab on the end of the float that contacts the needle. My guess is that this adjustment is so far off that the needle and seat aren't shutting off the flow of fuel.

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok I will try that and will let you know what happens. Thanks for your input. I'm on the process of rebuilding the carburetor now.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The measurement is 3/4 inch from the top of the float bowl to the center of the fuel wet float adjustment. Works for all 2100, 2150 and 2150a carbs. It could be a bad needle and seat not closing all the way or a bad float. Just pull the top off of the carb and pull the coil wire off of the distributor. Suck some fuel out of the float bowl with a turkey baster (dont tell your wife). Then crank on the starter and see how full the float bowl gets. You need to pull the float to adjust it do not push down on the float neede with your finger or pry up on the float. Bend the tab and put it back in and check the level again. Lay a straight edge across the top of the float bowl and measure to the fuel in the center of the bowl.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals