• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L manual starter gear diameter

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone have a flywheel/starter ring gear laying around such that they can measure the diameter of the assembly? This is for a 2.3L M5OD-R1.

I ordered a flywheel and clutch kit for a 1996 M5OD-R1 for my 2.3L Ranger and the flywheel does not fit in the bellhousing. Just wanted to see if I got the wrong part or what the diameter truly should be.

I had mounted the flywheel and clutch in the truck, then mounted the transmission. I tried to turn the engine by the crankshaft bolt in the front and it would not turn. I took everything back out and found that the flywheel was rubbing on almost every mounting bolt position inside the bellhousing.

In case it matters, I am doing an auto-to-manual swap. Replacing a 4R44E with an M5OD-R1. The diameter of the flexplate for the auto is 11 5/16". The diameter of the flywheel that I got is 11 5/8". The flexplate fits well in the manual transmission bellhousing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals