• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) 2.3 Turbo Swap - Tire Change

judahd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Short time listener, first time caller - I have a stock 1985 2.0L, 2WD, manual, carb. Going to swap the engine, likely for a 2.3T Not looking to go bananas on HP, but probably more than necessary. I do not want to lift or lower the truck. I would like to improve the suspension for a better ride and potentially improve the brakes if that seemed necessary but that's it. However, I immediately need to change the tires out because they are questionable at best. Current tires are 205/75R14. Door calls for 185/75R14. What tires do I need to get? If I need a different tire, do I need to change out the wheels too? Personally I like the look but I also don't want to buy a whole new set of tires only to find out they're not a good fit for a souped up engine. Thank you!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Tires don't matter too much on the engine, depends on your uses... what gear ratio is in the rear axle? On the drivers door there's a tag and will say axle at the bottom, what's the number under that?

It probably has 3.08:1 or 3.45:1 gears as they liked those in the '80's...

14" wheels fit on even the newest of TTB brakes (two piston calipers on '95-97) and the back doesn't matter unless you go with a disc brake explorer axle so whatever. Wider is going to be better but the stock wheels are only like 6" wide so they're a bit spongey when you go to 225 or wider...

judahd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I went to go look and I don’t see a ratio. Am I missing something? IMG_2229.jpeg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Kinda, if you go HERE in the tech library it gives you a list of the axle codes from that sticker, you have code 84 which means 7.5" axle with 3.45 gears...

Apparently the transmission code 5 means a Toyo Koygo 5 speed so at least you have overdrive...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals